Thai Tital wave in Phuket

Hi,

2000 swedish tourists are still not found, at least 700 in Khao Lak and 1000 in Phuket.

I heard on swedish TV a tourist in Patong Beach told how after the first wave disappeared they had 2 km of beach, hundreds maybe up to 2000 thais went for take the fish.

elef

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai TV says

1000 dead in Thailand, maybe as many as 30,000

30,000 - 40,000 dead in the whole region.

As for death count, this could end up being one of the nastiest!

Worse yet, there is still seismic activity which means there might be more in the next 7-10 days.

AMCHAM has been in touch with the U.S. Embassy regarding any assistance that AMCHAM and AMCHAM members can offer in helping with the disaster in the south.

The U.S. Embassy has informed us of the following:

The Thai Red Cross Nation Blood Centre is in urgent of need of blood. If you can donate blood please go to the Nation Blood Centre at 1871 Henry Dunant Road, Patumwan, Bangkok. Call 0 2256 4300 for more information and hours of operation.

The U.S. Embassy is also accepting donations of clothing for those tourists who were evacuated from the South that do not have their belongings. BASIC clothing required, i.e. T-Shirts, jeans, socks will be accepted at the U.S. Embassy.

AMCHAM will continue to be in contact with the U.S. Embassy and will inform members should there be any other assistance we can offer.

PHUKET - URGENT APPEAL

* * * CLOTHING, BLANKETS & TOILETRIES * * *

Dear Friends

I am sure that you have all seen the devastation in Phuket and nearby areas over the past few days. Many of those affected are now arriving in Bangkok with little more than the clothes they are wearing.

The BCCT is working very closely with staff of the British Embassy and British Club to provide assistance and support. There is now an immediate need for items of clothing (adult/children), blankets and toiletries. If you are able to donate any of these items either individually or via your companies please deliver them urgently to:-

The British Club

Silom Soi 18

Silom Road

The British Club is the main collection point for these items but there is also a need to develop a system to transport them to the airport. If any moving companies are able to help please contact the undersigned (on my mobile) as soon as possible.

Please note that your donations will go to anyone of any nationality affected by the tsunamis.

There is also an urgent need for hotel accommodation in Bangkok. The supply of free rooms offered by the TAT are dwindling rapidly such that dormitories at universities are now being used.

The British Club has also offered to look after anyone affected by providing food, drink, shelter, showering facilities, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. I will endeavor to keep you updated as much as possible over the next few days.

short update guys,

Phuket is starting to get cleaned up though still a long way to go, still finding bodies, today over 200 bodies from Phi Phi are getting taken to Ao Nang,

Khao Lak is at least 1,000 dead the police have old me here, my friends and staff have not slept since it started and are at the hospitals in Tap la mu and Takua Pa and it is an unbelievable mess with hundreds injured there,

'I don't know what bars he was referring too but ALL of the one's in Patong were effected/destroyed...Here is a repost of a link graciously provided by Stickman earlier today...See for yourself'

Siam,i imagine that like me you are many miles away from Patong.

do you know for sure what is happening in Patong?,don't just rely on photos taken within hours of the disaster.

many bars were open 12 hours later and the nightlife was still going on.

listen to residents who are telling what is happening,i think they know more than us.

and yes i have been in touch with friends in the bar business and while not like it was,many are open......

Archived