DISASTER AVOIDABLE

Let's be practical here. you are asking poor countries(including Thailand) to set up some sort of tsunami and earthquake monitoring and warning system when they can barely provide things such as clean water, affordable healthcare and an education beyond primary school for their citizens?

I hate to keep saying it but you guys that are moaning the the lack of prevention by the governments keep forgetting that in Asia LIFE is cheap.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For answers - read the 2 Bankok speaking newspapers.

For the last few days, much has been said in getting a warning system in place. India has said they are getting one and Thailand plans on getting one.

It is too bad that nobody 'sounded' the alarm. That part is hard to imagine.

Whoops, nice idea in theory but this science of tsunami prediction and subsequent warning seems rather tricky as the alerts posted 12 hours ago by India and later Sri Lanka resulted in a false alarm with now a lot of finger-pointing amid the prevailing confusion and chaos. (I'd post the timesofindia.com link but you may be deluged with pop-ups).

shygye said:You don't get it.
Sorry, mate. I get it. You don't.

Many Black-so's prevent me from elaborating without pissing people off. Let's just say you obviously do not have any experience with gummints, crowds, or long-distance, multi-language, communiques.

Now that you ask, as a matter of fact, I do :neener: .

Go back to your academic world and let me know when you arrive in the real world.

Stop blaming anyone. It was an "act of God". Shit happens. Deal with it. Life is not fair. In fact, it sucks most of the time for most people. Deal with it.

XOXOXO,

SD

MightyMouse said:I helped clear out a stadium once - we did it in about 30 minutes. I believe 50,000 people were there in attendance.
OK, let's suppose I give you the benefit of the doubt and I buy that. Fine. It is still oranges to my apples.

You have a "small room" (comparatively) full of people who are captive and speak the same language.

I have 100's of square Kms of area where people are spread out and do not speak the same language.

And that is just the start of the mess.

Capiche?

Cheers,

SD

6.000???

---------------

maybe even more, but that's people in all kind of venues, including tons of bungalows outifts and in many places, icluding smaller islands like Koh phiphi where if you run from your beach, you just find yourself on another beach!

And I think many guys here have no idea what panic does to a crowd of 1000s people, not even 200, 3 or 400 cops can't do nothing about. There is no way it could have been done in an orderly way in 30 or 40 minutes.

best is to educate people with drill exercices, and tell them what they should do in case they are warned that stuff happens. But even here or France, all agree to say people are just not prepared (witmess the heat wave of 2003, killed over 10 000 I think?), and funds are also not there to work on disaster preparartions.

[color:"green"] And I think many guys here have no idea what panic does to a crowd of 1000s people, not even 200, 3 or 400 cops can't do nothing about. [/color]

We saw the panic when the tsunami hit Patong (vidcams). There would have been no panic with a warning because the threat would not be visible to the people. :doah:

[color:"blue"]And I think many guys here have no idea what panic does to a crowd of 1000s people, not even 200, 3 or 400 cops can't do nothing about. There is no way it could have been done in an orderly way in 30 or 40 minutes.[/color]

And I think many of us do know about locked doors in discotheques hit by fire or panic in football stadions and the subsequent suffocation of trapped people, but that is irrelavant to this situation.

I for one got airplane evacuation training and we studied death tolls on many fatal aircrashes. We needed to repeat this traning once a year to be allowed to...whatever, none of your business....but....

It dawned to us that chances of aircarft accident survival are close to nihil. Nevertheless we were instructed to save as many people as possible.

So, any action to save lives is preferrable over no action at all

Any city/region needs a disaster plan, procedures and trained folks. Where do we have that???

Too costly? Bullshit.

An airline can not afford an airplane crash.

A country can not afford loosing tourists....

Sounds like many believe NOTHING could have been done - are there that many fatalist?

[color:"blue"] If you were a citizen of one of these countries and had an opportunity to warn some people, would you? [/color]

For those who could have given some type of warning, I do not know how they can live with themselves knowing how many died.

Language barriers were mentioned - but how many people come to Thailand and can not communicate at all with Thai people? When was the last time you saw somebody try to order food and was not able to because of language? How many falangs have you seen at the airport, sad and disappointed because as they are about to leave the country, they where not able to find not even one Thai lady for compaionship? I think you get the point, language is not as big of a barrier as we think it is.

:: I think this disaster was avoidable and what I find strange is that many leaders of the countries effected seem to believe that many things COULD have been done and many are now planning on implementing systems so it will not happen again.

Archived