Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

I'm with you CS, I wanted Milan to win, cos I'm still petty and bitter about the semi, however when they pulled it back I backed them all the way.

Yes it hurts intensely, but well done to the scousers....make the most of it cos you aint gonna win anything in the next 10 years :D

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to win anything in the next ten years? I don't know about that. Despite all your money, you can only put 11 players on the pitch and then you still have to motivate them and fashion them into a team. There's also a limit to how many great players you can have in your squad because, if they're that good, they're not going to be satisfied with being squad players and they'll move on. Imo, after a certain point, the manager will make the most difference. And Rafa could be better than Mourinho. (Look at their respective tactical changes when things weren't going well in the most vital games of the season. Mourinho brought on a big hefty centre-half to play up-front, ffs! Is he really better than Rafa?)

P.S. It must hurt to have picked the wrong centre-forward to send out on loan. ::

And you ignored the big warning sign from Kezman. I mean, beards without moustaches - what is that? :dunno:

Off topic at the mo, but heard this funny joke:

Bin Laden has been caught hiding in the 04/05 Man U trophy room. He said it reminded him of the Afghan caves, cold dark and empty and recently taken over by Yanks

Kezman wants minutes Limbo. He's definitely out of favor with Mourinho in the pecking order, plus there is talk of another striker coming. Supposedly Adriano or Eto. 30 million is being offered as a start. Drogba would be on the outs as well. Gudjohnsen seems to have cemented a starting position as a support striker with whomever is the main striker.

Drogba needed a year to acclimate. He's not a 24 mil striker though, plus he had injuries. He's not bad at all, but Chelsea have very high expectations and you have to produce right away like Robben.

Kezman may go back to the eredivisie or to another top side eventually I think.

Limbo, not sure if you heard but van Persie got a call up for the national team.

I think he'll make a great partner for Henry once he matures a little. I think he's missing one thing. A right foot. He favors his left too much. But I think he and Henry could make a great partnership. Reyes won't be it I'm afraid, he's better on the wing.

Reyes and Henry can't seem to click and occupy the same area of the pitch. van Persie plays to the right of the box at times and centrally, Henry likes to play to the left and centrally, plus van Persie can create space for himself with his great footwork like Henry and can either shoot or lay it off for someone. I think that's the partnership that may develop.

Other rumors is Del Piero coming to the PL. Arsenal and Tottenham are linked but I have a feeling that others will come in. He wants minutes...and money.

You won the friendly against us 2-1. It proves that Englands reserve national side is better than America's reserve national side. ::

Joe Cole was the class of the field although Richardson did take 2 very good goals for his brace.

America has about 9 or 10 good players and the quality drops considerably after that. We played about 2 or 3 starters and that's it. Mostly 2nd tier domestic league guys. England the same.

I still think America has the quality to be QF again. However, I don't think we'll ever be good unless 1) we get better athletes in it and talk some out of pursuing basketball, baseball and american football and 2) we get a good foreign manager. Bruce Arena our current manager is like most American managers, they got their experience being uni coaches domestically and not against foreign opposition. We should spend the money and get a Hiddink or the like over here and put together a squad who can compete and are tactically astute to international competition.

bibblies said:

Reserve side?!

Don't flatter yourself. That wasn't even our reserve reserve reserve side! And we never try in friendlies either! :neener:

I'm willing to wager 3/4 of the American side we put out don't even have passports. I wouldn't put too much in your win. They should have won by a lot more. When did Joe Cole, David James, Ash Cole and Sol Campbell and Jermain Defoe gedt demoted to the 'reserve, reserve, reserve' side? ::

You ask anyone on the American side if they've been to Rome or Paris and they'll say "yeah, I've been to Georgia and Texas."

Don't worry, our 'big guns' will be ready in Germany.

Belem, read the article. Its summer rumors to sell papers. Dein has already said we won't be selling any players (so that rules out Pires as the article says) and they said he'll possibly be sold with Edu as a package deal. The problem is Edu is out of contract and can leave on a free. Hleb of Stuttgart is the best bet. Arsenal don't buy big name players. There is a premium on them.

David James isn't going to get near the first eleven next year. Robinson, Kirkland, Carson, Green, that young Southampton goaly... anyone, in fact, will be ahead of him. I reckon Sven's seen enough of his mistakes and just chucked him into this tour in because US fans wanted to see "names".

Sol Campbell's not sure of a place either. He's declining slightly and, at the moment, Terry's ahead of him, I'd say. Ledley King's the new pretender, Carragher's the model of reliability and if Woodgate comes back, he's facing even more competition.

Ashley Cole's the only sure first-teamer with Joe Cole probably there too but with Jermaine Defoe on the subs bench.

But Luke Young? Kieran Richardson? Wes Brown? Michael Carrick? That's the reserve reserve reserve reserve team!

I think Liverpool's win will give England the confidence they need to play any team next year and, looking at the potential squads, only Brazil and Argentina seem to have comparable levels of talent. But, even if we meet Brazil, Lampard and Terry can look at Ronaldinho and think "We beat him in the CL", Owen, Beckham and Woodgate can look at Ronaldo and Carlos and think "We outscore them for Real Madrid" and Gerrard can look at Kaka and Dida and think "I overcame you to win the Champions League". They wouldn't have thought that in 2002 - they'd have been overawed.

Archived