Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

If Kirkland, Carson and Green were 2nd choice, they'd had been there. James is the one I see on the subs bench at big games.

Last I checked Campbell was still 1st choice CB. Joe Cole is at worst 1st man off the bench if not a starter as you intimated. Defoe may become a starter by the time '06 rolls around. Owen will start for sure but Defoe was the 2nd highest english goal scorer in the PL and with Johnson going to the champtionship it will hurt him.

I'm a big supporter of our national team and can rattle off our starting XI but I had to look up the names of these guys.

A win is a win, but put it in perspective mate. You beat a bunch of former american uni players who play in a 3rd rate domestic league. The score should have been 5-0 and your 'reserve, reserve reserve' side got outplayed in the 2nd half by guys who couldn't find England on a map. Keller is 3rd choice behind Howard and Freidel.

How did I know you'd some how get Liverpool connected to the national team?...hahahaha... ::

Man Yoo's '99 win didn't give England any more confidence in the '02 world cup than Liverpool's win would. Also, Liverpool started 9 foreigners out of their starting XI. If anything it would give the foreigners confidence. Gerrard and Carragher are the only englishmen I recognized at Istanbul.

Good win though in Istanbul best final in a long while. I thought it was gonna be a snooze fest and it was very good. It gives me hope for Arsenal. I was cheering for Milan in the first half and found myself cheering for you lot in by the end of the game.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson is there, isn't he? And Green too? After the debacle ManU had in their US tour, fans would want to see a named player though - that's why he's playing James. It's probably in the contract that players with a certain number of caps have to play per match. Trust me, James will drop by the wayside this next season as long as any other English goaly shows any sort of form at all. Even Sven knows he's not to be trusted.

England don't bother in friendlies so I neither care nor attach any significance to them at all.

Gerrard and Carragher were the best outfield players - the heart of the side. It was their English spirit that lifted the rest and carried them back into it. Along with the English Real contingent holding their own against the Brazilian lot and Chelsea beating Barcelona with most help from Lampard, Terry and Cole, all last vestiges of an English inferiority complex should be swept away. I think, along with the blistering heat and injuries, that was a factor against Brazil in 2002. If we can stave off injuries, it's looking good...

With Carroll not being re-signed, ManU obviously has to bring in a top keeper. Be interesting who they end up with. IMO, they could do okay with Green or Charlton's Dean Kiely and use the rest of their transfer budget for a top notch midfielder to eventually replace the aging Scholes and Giggs.

The Americans weren't at full strength, either, missing Claudio Reyna, Eddie Johnson, Eddie Lewis and DaMarcus Beasley. I think Friedel retired from international competition.

Everton claim they are closing in on a deal to bring Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell to Goodison Park.

Part of the penalty in any tapping up case where its been found to be the case should be the offending club can not get the player. Cole can still be bought by Chelsea, can't he? If so, that would be rediculous to still allow it. Also, I think a club should be banned from any transfer either in the next transfer window or a year depending on severity.

I'm not happy with Ash. But I do want him to stay. I hope his contract and situation is sorted.

Yep, Adriaanse confirmed he's the new Porto man. Can't say I'm happy with that since I'm afraid it made my rival stronger.

Benfica had to let go of Trappatoni since he wasn't fully happy with his (family) situation. Koeman and Le Guen (former Lyon) are of the managers named among a looooooooooong list ( :) ) Not that long I guess, but I'd favore one of these two.

Lyon's midfielder Michael Essien to Chelsea, as well as possibly Adriano or Etoo. And if they could get Ashley Cole to be their left back, I would love all of their acquisitions- no weaknesses.

On another note, I like Valencia's acquisitions of Kluivert and Edu. They could be a spoiler in La Liga.

I'm also hearing Liverpool could get Real Madrid's Raul and Zenden from Middlesbrough. If Figo goes to Tottenham along with Crystal Palace's Routledge and maybe Andy Johnson, there are going to be some enticing matchups next season in the EPL.

After his interview in News Of The World, it seems Ash Cole is definitely going. I hope he doesn't get sold to a domestic rival though. A shame. Oh well.

Belem, the word is 'Boro is going after Figo. They can't afford his wages though and can only pay him 40k a week. I don't think Tottenham will pay him anything close to his present wages either.

Eissen is a mercenary. Last year he was saying ManYoo were his fave club and now that Chelsea have come in with a bag of money, he's now a Blues fan. He's a good player though. Adriano may not come. He's happy in Italy. Eto won't come either, he's happy at Barca. It would take a lot more money for Adriano to leave Inter.

Archived