abortion

Hi,

A friend is in need of some advice. Hi gf is just over 2 months pregnant and neither wants the baby. They tried the pills approach a couple times and no results. I know that surgical abortions are illegal here in Thailand, the Docs have made that very clear at the hospitals. So, where should he go? He is not interested in a "backyard" deal. Does anyone know which close countries perform surgical abortions? Thanks for your help.

According to this, abortion is legal in Japan, China and Vietnam. I would think that Vietnam would be the least problematic to visit for a Thai as no visa is required. And I gotta believe that there is at least one Western standard hospital in HCMC (Saigon) if not Hanoi as well.

Good Luck,

SD

While abortion is illegal here in Thailand, they are conducted at MANY hospitals and abortion clinics. If you're at a loss where to go, there is a safe, cheap and clean abortion clinic in the building right next to Cabbages and Condoms on Sukhumvit Soi 12. Around 2,000 baht for the procedure.

Stick

Hi,

actually abortion is allowed by thai law in 2 cases - risk for the womans life (suicide may be one) or if the pregnancy is a result of sex crime. A curettage can also be motivated by medical reasons.

elef

Stickman,

Thanks for the post. That's what I was thinking too. Here in Phuket, He and I both have been asking round clinics and hospitals and getting a pretty negative vibe, and no referrals either as they used to do in the US, when it was still illegal there. Anyway, I pass the info on, thanks again!

elef and kwai,

thanks guys....yeah, was a little surprised by the reactions here, like it was quite hostile(maybe they thought we are working with the police?)...maybe need to ask some more clinics. thanks for the responses

Best way to go is to find a private hospital and advise the doctor that for medical reasons, suggest the doctor recomends a termination. Abortion then becomes legal if the doctor advises medical reasons why should be terminated and they will not be questioned by anybody down the line as the patient has to sign a statement agreeing to the termination on medical grounds. Without the signed agreement most hospitals will not undertake the termination.

Archived