Movie Sequels that Didn't Work

Torneyboy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Detroit!...The begining of Beverley Hills Cop they show street scenes of rough areas/people of Detroit, wasn't you among them ::....btw Beverley Hills Cop 2 worked well imho.

soongmak said:

most sequels suck - I guess it is more of a task to name some that didn't.

Well:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The Godfather (1972)

The Godfather: Part II (1974)

The Godfather: Part III (1990)

come to mind.

I was thinking about adding the James Bond flicks.

But those are more in lines of a series than

as sequels. Although, Thunderball was remade

as " Never say Never" and it was not bad.

A lot of sequels which are remade are done to $$$ in.As

long as the banks are paid than who cares? Pride

is the only thing remake®s ( ie participents) care about.

But unless it's remade by the original writers, directors, and others,

than I can't see how the original ooopa that made t

he first one good could ever be recreated in

another one.

But having said this I think that the Godfather's were the best sequels ever made.

Shit.

khunsanuk said:

Terminator 2 is also better than the first one, the third installment is utter rubbish though. Almost identical to the 2nd one, just some new actors, but the scenes, and order of them, are very very similar.

Sanuk!

Funny, I saw the third installment as very unlike the 2nd one but very much like the first. :dunno:

I guess I watched the first one first. :beer:

Shit

Hi,

"Saw all of them three times, and I just couldn't get into it."

Have you seen the extended versions? I thought they helped explain some of the background and 'flesh' things out a bit.

The 2nd one for instance gives much more background on the relationship between Boromir, Faramir and their father.

They also contain a bit more humor.

Sanuk!

>superb set of films and faithful to the books.

Agreed absolutely. Watched the first prepared to be horrified (made a mistake years ago of watching some bloody awful adaptation of Dune), but was amazed. They actually stuck to the plot, and largely the dialog. Only had the chance to see one of the extended so far, but immensely looking forward to seeing the others. Have to say though that in the book Frodo has always irritated me immesnsely (get a grip that hobbit!!), and hey! he did so in the film as well....

However, I really would have to beg to differ that films 2 and 3 were "sequels", and I really think the work should be seen as a whole, which was always intended.

-j-

(wonder if we will ever see a film adaptation of the "Wheel of time books".....LOL...., and thinking of which, where *is* number 11....).

I was extremely happy with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Few things piss me off more than when someone writes a great book (or 3 in this case) and some nitwits in Hollywood decide to make a movie that has the same name but is changed by some 2 bit writers who couldn't kiss the ass of the original writer.

I read Lord of the Rings 20 years ago, and was very happy to see the movies produced as a incredibly well done visualization of what I had read. I remember reading "Von Ryan's Express. In the book, Von Ryan was a physically intimidating presence. The physical intimidation was essential to the character. In the movie, Von Ryan was played by Frank Sinatra, who must have weighed all of 140 lbs (I like his music but ridiculous to cast him in this role).

I also enjoyed Color of Money. Seemed to me like Tom Cruise was a modern version of Paul Newman in the original - reflected the changes in society.

The Matrix sequels, terrible!

Hi,

I have all the extended versions, so let me know if you want to borrow any.

As for the Wheel of Time, it's up to what? 10,000 pages or so? Seriously anybody could turn that into a movie :)

BTW, I think the story is dragging on too long. Maybe it is because there is so much time between each book comes out, but I find it harder and harder to keep track of the plots and subplots. There are just so goddamn many characters in the book.

Sanuk!

Archived