How do you make the move to LOS?

shygye

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have worked in networking and desktop troubleshooting. I also received my degree in Information Security. Mostly on the management side.

Sorry to say this, but unless you are very good in a specific area I think it will be very hard for you to get a real job in Thailand.

On the other hand if you do have some unique skills or you are just really really good at what you do, then I know a couple of companies that's looking for really skilled people (senior positions) and not shy to pay a real salary.

Regards,

Northrop Grumman contacted me to inform me that NSA would not sponsor my clearance because of my relationship with a foreign national. Plus when they decide to sponsor your clearance you receive a letter stating that you cannot have any relationships with foreigners unless from an approved country. Apparently Thailand is not an approved country.

The worst part about it I had told them that I had a relationship. They said no problem. I know some of you are probably going to say you should not have said anything. When they do security clearance they check everything especially for the level of clearance that I was being sponsored for.

The kicker was the day after they rescinded my job President Bush praised Thailand for their help in the fight on terrorism. He had a Thai flag behind him when he made the statement. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

I can understand where they are coming from but it still doesn't make me feel any better. You can get into all kinds of ifs... If I had not met her...If I had not married her...

I would rather be with her than not. Pure and simple. I can always find another job. Unfortunately things are tight right now.

Do you think one of the reason for not being able to get a security clearance may have dealt with the cost of keeping tabs on you in Thailand?

Did you have a clearance before?

Did you know, even if you no longer have a security clearance, you are still watched?

Regards to nightlife and even association with this site, they would keep close tabs on you. I do not think you would like there prying 'eyes' delving into every aspect of your life.

[color:"green"] I know of one person (I actually saw his application) who had 3 driving while intoxicated convictions and was married to a Thai national - he was able to get a clearance. So it can be done - but then rules do change.

[/color]

<<I have worked in networking and desktop troubleshooting. I also received my degree in Information Security. Mostly on the management side. >>

I suggest tryig the Advascan, Trend Micro people, maybe they can assist or need you? Depends on your salery expectations.

I know some Faragns working with these copanies happy with only 60 000 baht a month.

NSA - Hmmm - in the 80's the vast amount of the Stars Wars Imaging system was written by Taiwanese, odd they should reject a national, err, the Taiwanese where employed by the NSA I should add.

DPG - ex Taiwanese poodle

MightyMouse said:

[color:"green"] I know of one person (I actually saw his application) who had 3 driving while intoxicated convictions and was married to a Thai national - he was able to get a clearance. So it can be done - but then rules do change.

[/color]

How long ago? Everything changed after 9-11. The hiring officer told me pre 9-11 it would not have been a problem.

Nervous_dog wrote "Taiwanese where employed by the NSA I should add."

Confusion: NSA stands for National Security Agency.

In today's world, easy enough to do.

If everything hinges on what one hiring officer said, I would try a few more times. Hiring officers (at a company) do not have the last and final say. They only do what they think they are suppose to do.

Well it was not completely up to him. NSA had the final say in who they would sponsor for clearance. He was personally pissed off that they did that but what could he do. Considering clearance costs roughly $20,000 US or more to complete Northrop wasn't going to pay for it. The U.S. gov't. was expected to pick up the tab. Also he was the only hiring officer for this division. It is not large because most of their work is in developing equipment for intelligence gathering. Northrop has several divisions and this is an exclusive one within Northrop.

Archived