How do you make the move to LOS?

shygye

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys thanks for your concerns and questions but I don't want this thread to degenerate into my sob story about getting hosed by Northrop Grumman. Some other shitty things happened to me because of what they did, but that is another story.

MM thanks for asking the questions so you could see where I am coming from.

KS, ND, voodoo, josh, shygye, and danish3 I thank all of you for your suggestions but I could definitely use any other knowledge that you have gained. (Sorry if I forgot anyone.) I know it is tough and might not happen for me but any info helps.

How do you make the move to LOS? Any insights, suggestions, and stories would be great.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Another thing. How would I hook up with some of you? I know you have meeting at Gullivers. I get to BKK on Feb.6 but I am out of BKK on Feb 8th for Samui then Chiang Rai. Will be back on the 15th and leave for the States on the 19th. Wish I could stay longer but...

Hi,

"How do you make the move to LOS?"

I just took the jump. Was young enough to take the risk, failed miserably the first time but still had a good 5 months there. Got my old job back and worked for another year before trying again. Did better that time and have been improving my life here since.

Sanuk!

Being you have been to Thailand several times and you do have a wife here, then the next step will probably be trying to live frugal till you can make money and finding something you can do.

Depending on your age, you might want to make a career change.

Some falangs are doing very well managing the property investments of other falangs. You might want to consider that. Another area might be in that of exporting products out of Thailand. You can buy cheap and then sell 'high' in the US. With an IT background, you could merge the two together so as to have a lucrative business.

Actually MM I was considering doing something along this line. Believe me I have a lot more to my background then just IT. So I don't want to limit myself to just IT. I am looking for any opportunity even if it is not IT related.

KS I wish I could just make the move but failure is not an option for me because I have a wife and her son (my son now) from a previous marriage to take care of. Believe me if I didn't have a family to worry about I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I should probably just let this thread die. It is starting to sound like I am some kind of whiner bemoaning my pitiful life. Quite to the contrary. Guys thanks for your concerns and suggestions.

"How do you make the move to LOS?"

Had visa problems in India, so flew Calcutta to Bangkok and bought a ticket to Bali. Saw an ad for what I do in the Bangkok Post classifieds. What the hell, I applied for it and flew to Bali. A week later, they emailed me, asked if I could come in that night. I said no, I'm in Indonesia, but could be back in Bangkok in six weeks. They said ok, see you then. That was 1998, maybe 1999, I don't remember.

Believe me I have sent more resumes than there are trees to make the paper to print them out on.

I also belong to several sites like Monster.com, Careerbuilder, etc.

I started this thread to get insights from some of the expats living over there. I have gotten some useful information and will see what else I can dig up when I get over there. Keep giving me suggestions anything and everything helps.

Thanks again.

What do you want to do?

What can you do?

Believe it or not, you can do a lot more then you think.

Next, is to plan on how to make the move. Is it going to be gradually? If gradually, can you afford to go back and forth?

If you move immediately, do you have the funds to float on while you get things going?

Why not start your own business?

Find a niche item to sell or some type of service. An item to sell might be easier then a service. While finding your niche think about having a few other niche items in case one or more do not make any money.

This could be one of the most creative aspects of your life. Go for it and do not look back.

Archived