So rat meat is a delicacy in Isaan ?

New Petchburi Pete

Hey Cent,

An eventual meeting is destiny ... perhaps as reliable as the Thai Lottery.

? ... Boston area beaches ... we must have stumbled across one another at some point. Name the beach ... I've been there! ... and, I can probably tell you where to park without getting your vehicle towed. Some of my favorites? ... well, starting from up North, how could I not mention Hampton Beach, NH (Well's & Old Orchard in Maine were too f'ing cold for my ballini's!) ... then into Mass.: Salisbury, then Plum Island (Newburyport) & Crane's Beach in Ipswich. Then, Wingersheik (forgive my spelling as it has been a while!) and Good Harbor beaches in Gloucester & I don't mean to forget Stage Harbor ... ever been to Halibut Point in Rockport? ... and, there's Singing Sands in Manchester ... one in Beverly and Marblehead (memory fading with another Singha!) And yes, I've swum at Salem Willows on Halloween! ... how about, Swampscott, Nahant and Revere Beach (before the Cambodians took it over)? ... proceeding South, I loved Nantaskett, Hull and Marshfield (? White Horse beach) ... ah, then down to Bourne and across the Sagamore Bridge to my stomping grounds from 1987 to whenever I moved to BKK (now in Pattaya) ... yes, good, Olde Cape Cod ... know 'em all, fished 'em all, etc. ... and, yes the Islands: Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard (I never got to meet Martha; but, oh ... her horny daughters!). So, if we've yet to meet, it's in the cards ... just send me a pm when you're coming down to Pattaya or Jomtien. It's just destiny man, destiny. And the beaches here ... well there's exploration Southward to be done! ? Cape Cod ... loved Paine's Creek at low tide in Brewster ... could walk out for a mile or more at low tide and dive into pristine waters!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about a delicacy, but the local lads around Surin are quite happy to ...Throw another "Noo yai" on the barbie!!!

My wife assures me that "farmer rice rats" are very clean and no problem to eat...Not same same as Bangkok rats !! She herself elects to refrain, as do most of the female side of her extended family.

My only experience (that I am aware of at least) happened on our wedding day in Baan Kia Nok about 5 years ago. After a rather "big" night previously, I was rudely woken at some ungodly hour by a combination of Dogs, Chickens and a village full of jibbering Thai women, preparing for the "Big Day Out"

Fast forward a few hours .... it's now 8.30 am and the whole Official part of things is completed... time to Party !!

The brother's in law, cousins, uncles, neighbours and all other assorted hangers on are into the Lao Kau big time. It's not a really big show, probably only a couple of hundred turned up for the morning "session" as tonight was the real party !!!

The boys are really getting into it.....BBQ's all over the place...cooking up a storm.. whole fish...chicken, pork...you name it...it was getting cooked.

I recall, at one point, my wife's brother holding out a plate, offering me some BBQ "meat"....take...take..Aroy Dee..Aroy mak !!

I tried it and yes it tasted fine... should have twigged though, as I recalled later I was being watched closely by many pairs of "beady" eyes.

When the plate was passed to me for a second go, I looked...then looked again....and there it was.....staring me in the fkn face.....a tail that was about 20cm long...I froze...didn't know whether to laugh or vomit !!! Far canal !!!

......and that my friends was the end of my eating on my wedding day...Dumsoda's only intake for the rest of the day...was his namesake...Dumsoda !!!! figgured if I was going to die of the Plague I might as well be well and truely pissed !!

Well, long story, short, I'm still alive to tell the tale and if the truth be known and I had not seen the TAIL on the plate, I probably would have kept eating and never known the difference. Have definately "eaten" worse tasting things than that over the years

Cheers Dumsoda

• 3 weeks later...

you also can eat rat in belgium, antwerpen, café on "het eilandje", delicious food

specialty for the area there, but they don't have it always to serve, because no rats find..... :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

I first saw rat for sale in the meat section of the local market(west side of Udon province) goes for 40 - 60b depending on size.Always said I would try anything.I'll get to that later!

Turns out the family next doors main income comes from rat hunting.Everyday in the late afternoon the husband rides off on his ancient Suzuki with a kind of metal bolt firing rifle shaped zip gun over his shoulder (actual guns are banned locally),heading off to the nearby hill range to hunt for countryside rats(not the dirty type seen in the village I'm told)

Most days he comes back with 6 to 12 in the middle of the night.His wife then cleans and guts them.In the morning she rides the Suzuki round the villages delivering them to regular customers.I've only ever seen them barbequed and eaten with sticky rice.

Sitting round the barbi one evening I was offered some what was described as 'small pork' and was eating it with no problem until I was given a piece with a very small foot still attached!Soon smelt a rat!and tasted as well!Ok I didn't die and now I can say I've eaten rat.

Sure I can eat rat but prefer not to and stick to buffalo, pork or chicken.Though at various times I've tried several other small Thai animals that the hunters have brought in.

Many locals prefer rat to other meat.I often see them pass over the other choices and take rat.

For a few labs at work I need some animals. You should hear the entire markets gossiping when this farang shows up in a Tie buying these animals. Every time they start giving me recipes and wondering how I like the taste. I just imaging them all going home and telling their families about their day at work. LOL

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"you also can eat rat in belgium, antwerpen"

Are they still refered to as 'water rabbit'?

Sanuk!

yes, but we call it not water rabbit, but water rat, or muskusrat

taste is good....

Archived