Some of My Favorite SEA Flicks

Hugh_Hoy

Nobody asked, but some of my favorite SEA flicks are as follows (and I'd recommend them all, in no particular order)

1. "Concubine", set in VN/Cambodia during French occupation. Story of a Frenchman and his 16? year old concubine.

2. "Between Heaven and Earth", based upon a true story of a VN woman beginning with the VN war and ending up with her marriage to a GI.

3. "Lord Jim", faithful to the superb Conrad novel made in Cambo circa 1964-65

4. "Apocolypse Now", classic VN war flick closely following the Conrad novel "Heart of Darkness".

5. "The Ugly American", based on Graeham Greene's novel about an English journalist based in Saigon in the 60's, his concubine, and a CIA plot to influence the political landscape of VN.

There are others I've enjoyed. I liked "Off-Limits" for the story, action and the fact that it was shot in BKK (although it was supposed to be in Saigon during the VN war). A few scenese shot in SC and Patpong. Kind of too long though. Lots of twists and turns, some great dialogue, and characterization as a couple of CID investigators work on a serial killer of prostitutes. Opening scene is extremely well done IMHO. Really captures the mood. If u just want entertainment without a lot of thinking, like action flicks, bargirls, and stuff lke that, u might like it too. And great 60's music :)

Hugh (mak)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<4. "Apocolypse Now", classic VN war flick closely following the Conrad novel "Heart of Darkness".>>

::....Was in Canvey Island in June right opposite (Thames River) Gravesend...got me thinking about the colonies ::

What about Good Morning Vietnam?

The lady that Adrian (Robin Williams) fell in love with was a big time Thai actress. My wife knew who she was when we were watching it. I can't remember her name off of the top of my head though.

Chintara Sukapatana aka Jintara Sukaphat. She is still around.

I liked Air America because it was fun and reminded me of some wild nightlife I had. But other than that, it was a crap movie and waaayyyy short of the Chris Robbins excellent book -- hard to believe that they even used any of the book in making the movie.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

I liked Air America because it was fun and reminded me of some wild nightlife I had.

Cheers,

SD

You mean like pilots telling their wives in BKK that "I have to go out for a couple of weeks" and then spending the "two weeks" down in Patpong at the Sportsman's Bar ? :)

Hugh

Yah meant "The Quiet American". Yeah, it was okay, book was better though. Graham Greene spent 5 years in VN during the 50's. Hell of a guy. He did quite a lot of travelling around. Read a book he wrote about the Brits in Malaya in the 50's and the end of empire, last year. Very sharp guy.

Quite liked "Indochine" with Catherine Deneuve. Superb shots of Ha Long Bay. Bit of useless trivia, Was a little place she used to go in Hanoi, whilst filming, for her yoghurts. They were so made up that they've put her picture on the wall.

Then there was "The Lover" with the sinner from Pinner, Jane wotsit in it. She played a young European chick in the delta during French colonial VN, educated into the ways of lurve by an older VN dude.

Guest lazyphil

<<Read a book he wrote about the Brits in Malaya in the 50's and the end of empire, last year.>>

My dad was in Malaya in the 50's in the Navy/Submariner (for 18 months), its interesting looking at his fading old slides of the Cameron Highlands, KL, Malaca, Singapore etc...I wish he bought home his old Jaguar he had out there, I wonder if its still driven now?

Archived