Thailand: divorce without marriage?

iuytrede

Someone posted on Thaivisa: "according to Thai law the wife is entitled to half of the possessions after 2 to 3 years living together, even without being married"

Is there any truth in this?

BTW It seems that this has happened to the former farang owner of the Hotel Atlanta.

Some US states have similar laws.

"In fifteen states and the District of Columbia (see below), though, common law marriages are recognized. If a man and a woman (same-sex marriages aren't recognized) live together and "intend to be married" by acting like they are married, telling people they are married, and doing the things married people do (using words like "husband" and "wife," filing joint tax returns, etc.), they become common law spouses. This gives them the same rights and responsibilities as people who got married the old-fashioned way, with a trip to City Hall and a wedding."

Cheers,

SD

Most Thai men don't have anything anyway. And the folks who do have money are the ones who usually will have a proper marriage and register it.

Always amazes me that upcountry gals will marry some village idiot who doesn't even have 10,000 baht in the bank. Must be boredom, low expectations or whatever.

iuytrede said:

Someone posted on Thaivisa: "according to Thai law the wife is entitled to half of the possessions after 2 to 3 years living together, even without being married"

Is there any truth in this?

BTW It seems that this has happened to the former farang owner of the Hotel Atlanta.

---

My GF told me a while ago that also a Thai female has to give half of her possessions away to her Thai 'husband' after finish living together, also without being registered.

Most of the people don't know about that and i think it has something to do with the fact, that most don't have any possessions.

<< Or maybe she is in love. >>

I've wanted to strangle some of my students when they've told me they plan to marry a guy "because I love the way he talks". Thai men can hand a girl a line of BS and they buy it almost every time!

Years ago, one of my students married a complete waster -- a guy not even very good looking, but one who could really lay on the BS. This student was a real stunner. One of her classmates was in love with her, she had a Thai engineer who wanted to marry her ... hell, even I was interested in her. But she married that no account with the glib tongue, couldn't even wait until the end of the term. He really just wanted to shag her and realised he couldn't get her into the sack any other way. After maybe 6 months or so, he was bored with her and was playing around again. The gal eventually had enough and divorced him. (Last I heard of him was when he was "retired" from Ramkhamhaeng without graduating after 6 years, because he couldn't even keep a minimum 2.0 average out of a possible 4. He spent his time whoring around instead of studying.)

Years later I ran into the gal, now sadder but wiser, and she told me about him. I asked what his friends were like. She replied, "His friends are all no good." Then why the hell did she expect him to be different? She told me that her older sister quickly spotted him for what he was and tried to keep him away from her. But she knew better!

"I like the way he talks." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

::

p.s. I'm sure it happens in the west too, but nowhere near as often as it does in Thailand.

I had a discussion about this decades ago with some Farang colleagues. Thai TV and movies often present the "hero" as a macho thug who beats up people and treats women like disposable items. Plus he BS's the women with the greatest of ease. Thais grow up with that image before them!

It's not as bad as it used to be. But there was a bit of a stir a while back about a TV show, where the "hero" proved his "love" for the sweet young virgin heroine by raping her! That seemed to be a bit much even for Thais to buy.

::

>>>"Always amazes me that upcountry gals will marry some village idiot who doesn't even have 10,000 baht in the bank"

If it were possible to check the finances of every 18-25 year old male in every Issan village I would be surprised if one in a thousand has 10k baht in a bank. Excluding those that no longer live in the village. Might explain why a lot of those girls hope to snag a farang.

Archived