Entering Thailand on a one way ticket?

"that you are going to KL by road and then onwards

to Afghanistan"

that route doesn't really make sense does it major backtracking & all???

anyways I met this git on my last checkin to bkk & firstly she told me I cant go as her computer says I need a visa to enter bkk. then after a bit further checking she acknowledge I can buy the visa on arrival, which is a bit closer to the truth, but still not quite...

lastly she wanted to see the return ticket.

bkk immigration never asks these kinds of questions, but this time however they were very detailed with the address I was staying, so will keep that in mind for next times as usally I leave that one blank ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of course there is never any problem at the Thai immigration. the government is eager to get the numbers of incoming foreigners as high as possible so they let everybody in who they think has some money to spend.

the only problem are the airlines. but there are also different practices.

US carriers are the most picky; it is pretty normal that they ask for return ticket or visa. european carriers much less, it depends on check in staff; some do, but majority don't care.

in asia TG never asks; most picky is Singapore Airline in my experience.

A friend once had to buy a full fare one way BKK-Paris to be allowed to fly out of paris because he only showed up for check in with a one-way ticket. He could get a full refund I think so that was OK but still unpleasant to get hassled upon check in...

One time I planned to fly LA/New Zealand/ Australia/Thailand and back to LA using one way tickets. No way. Trouble started on check in at LA with Air New Zealand. They made me buy an Auckland/LA return. Then in Auckland they wouldn't sell me a one-way ticket to Oz. How will you get to Thailand? they asked. I felt like saying it was none of their business but these were tough bunch of women running the Auckland office. I said I'd rent a car in Oz, drive around a bit then fly from Darwin to Bangkok via Djakarta. That was a big no-no so I had to buy another ticket on Thai Airways from Sydney to Bangkok. It was a big mess and I ended up with a lot of unused tickets. I eventually did get refunds. Another thing, when they make you buy a ticket on check in it's always the highest fare. Travel isn't what it used to be. :(

Archived