Entering Thailand on a one way ticket?

As an Irish passport holder I am entitled to get 30 days on entry provided that I have a ticket out again.....

Anyone had any trouble entering without a ticket back out again??........obviously if you have any type of visa this does not apply.

It seems that the carrier airline can prevent you boarding if you don't have a ticket out again. I am going to Singapore next week for a few days so will be coming back in without a ticket back out..

uniformguy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Uniformguy,

The onward ticket regulation.

For what it is worth:

I have entered the kingdom on one way ticket a dozen times or so on various airlines. SAS, TG, LH, AF, AY

Was never once asked to produce proof of onward ticket.

In fact I don`t recall hearing that anyone coming from Europe have had to show onward ticket.

How about you guys?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Same here; have entered Thailand from the USA and several SE asian countries without an onward ticket or visa and this was never asked for. I thus wouldn't go out of my way to have one. In a pinch, I figure I will just head to the nearest internet connection and buy the cheapest one way ticket out of Thailand to show them, then summarily discard it.

I believe it depends on the carrier.

FWIW -

Last December I flew PER/SIN using a one way (award/mileage) e-ticket on Qantas. On arrival in SIN, I went through immigration and retrieved my luggage, then turned straight around & checked in on Tiger Airways (no ground handling arrangements with other airlines, hence my luggage retrieval) again on a one-way e-ticket SIN/BKK.

No problems leaving PER, nor arriving/departing SIN, nor on arrival at Don Muang either (30-day visa issued on arrival).

Thai immigration have never asked me for evidence of an onward/return ticket. I'm not saying they don't give a shit, just that I've never known them to!

If you're really concerned, buy an el cheapo Tiger or Air Asia (et al) internet ticket.

About one time in a hundred I have been asked to show an onward ticket. That was by SQ airline in Singapore. I told them I had a ticket waiting for me in Bangkok, and they let me go. Could also depend on your ethnicity depending on whether they push the issue.

My experience is that at check-in counter they ALWAYS check your passport for valid visa, if you don't have a visa you need return ticket. They won't let you board the plane.

The carrier is responsible for this, they need to take you back to origin if you are not ok to enter the country.

Some years ago in Sillypore travel agent refused to sell one way ticket into Had Yai altough I had return ticket ex Sillypore...

Ok thanks guys..... so far we are getting a confused message...... another one of these regulations that is very patchy in it's implementation. I think that I will buy a Jet Star Asia ticket for 750 baht to be on the safe side.

I will obviously be flying back from Singapore so if I don't buy one is there an internet place close to the check in at Changi where I could go and get one if needed??.....

uniformguy

Archived