Entering Thailand on a one way ticket?

uniformguy, it looks as if most of your risk lies with the possibility that your airline may not let you board without a return or onward ticket. Given that airline employees are more likely to follow procedures than to ignore them, maybe it would be wise to call your airline and find out what their policy is, then you would know what was most likely to happen.

It seems that Thai immigration is not going to be much of a risk.

Yesterday, going through Los Angeles, I was at Northwest's ticket counter as they decided they could not give a boarding pass to a U.S. citizen who was returning from the U.S. to the country she had purchased a return ticket from (Bahrain if memory serves). She was on the return part of her visit to the U.S. The airline people were not looking forward to breaking the news to her. Made me think about your situation.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought it might be useful to post of what actually happened.

I went to the Thai embassy in Singapore and applied for a Tourist visa, payed 50 Sing dollars......took me about ten minutes.

Went back the next afternoon and collected my tourist visa, which took me about 2 minutes.

Checked in to the flight and was never asked for a ticket but she did look for the visa.....

Passed thru immigration in BKK and she stamped my passport for 60 days and I should be able to get another 30 days from here.

Could not have been easier....

Those of u who remember my posts when I tried to do this from Tokyo before Christmas will remember the nightmare I had there.

It is amazing how radically different embassies of the same nation can differ so much around the world.

uniformguy

rickfarang said:

You could buy a ticket at the ariport counter you are checking in at :)

When i was previously coming here on the 30 day entry stamp with no return ticket, one of the carriers accepted a reservation printout as proof of subsequently leaving Thailand. Doing this doesn't cost anything on the spot and is a better alternative to not having anything to present if asked. Not sure if all carriers accept this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WARNING

Don't try entering LOS travelling on Japan Airlines if you lack a visa or return ticket. Every time, they make me buy one at the airport which I subsequently cash in.

JAL staff only know rules, rules, and more rules.

Other airlines e.g. Cathy, SQ, and United have not made an issue of it as soon as I explain that I buy my tickets in BKK.

That only applies if do not have a visa already ...... I just came in on JAL and no problems or questions with a visa in your passport.

as explained many times here, the airline is responsible for your return fare if you are refused entry. Just a sane business policy.

BTW, why bother cashing it in? Just carry an open one way to PHN, no hassles for a year.

I asked united about the one way ticket ...

The way they explained to me is that the airline can be fined 5K USD *if* there is problem at immigration where the person needs to be returned instead of being admitted on the country.

some airlines want to see your ticket out of Thailand if you don't have a visa, and some Thai embassies want to see a ticket out of Thailand before they issue you a visa (many other countries are the same)

so you can buy a ticket BKK-Penang with MH at their office (Ploenchit). Fully refundable.

or you buy a fully refundable ticket (best is business class) with a major airline (very expensive), charge it to a credit card, get the visa, and get it refunded on the credit card after a week or so

don't buy a ticket from a travel agent if you might want a refund - they don't want to lose the commission, so they will be as unhelpful as possible. Buy from the airline.

Archived