Private Dancer

chuckwoww

chuckwoww said:

I notice in Stick's latest column he talks about a review in the local press by somebody who didn't like Stephen Leather's book. Does anybody know where I can read the review? Thanks.... :)

It was on the Nation's so-called Farang Page a couple of weeks ago. I think it only comes out on Monday, so it would probably have been March 7.

Since I can't ever remember that page ever running a book review before, I assume this was a personal hatchet job directed at Steve. Alternatively, it might just have been another case of what Stick was referring to in the column you mentioned -- the inevitable and mindless pissing done by the local hangers-on all over anybody who writes a novel that touches in any way on Bangkok nightlife.

Of course, since on the whole these guys are all such successful sorts themselves, I guess we really ought to pay attention to them, huh?

I like Private Dancer because its such a mish mash of characters and events. Sure Stephen has exagerated because that's how fiction works. Otherwise it's journalism. He certainly covered all the angles of Thai/farang P4P type relationships.

The central character needs to be a kind of gullible caricature to show all the pitfalls and misunderstandings. I was going to mention OH here but better not.

Too much psychological depth would have spoiled it I think. SL is no John Le Carre anyway. More your Jack Higgins. Different market. :)

"...The central character needs to be a kind of gullible caricature to show all the pitfalls and misunderstandings. I was going to mention OH here but better not..."

Gullible? Moi? jeez, buy a few dozen dead cows, the bridge on the river kwai, and a beer bar on Soi 10, and I get labeled as gullible...? :)

Well i don't think it purports to be a great piece of literarature a la Dickens or Hemingway and thus it would be unfair to judge it by this criteria.

I think it is a good read for the average punter as there is plenty to relate to in the various characters.

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to fellow punters.

It probably has a limited audience because of its very narrow focus. I can't see many people not involved in the scene to be very interested in this work. It can be read in a few hours and it does provide some interesting insights into the mindsets of some of the various characters that make up the Bangkok nightlife scene.

Archived