Private Dancer

chuckwoww

I notice in Stick's latest column he talks about a review in the local press by somebody who didn't like Stephen Leather's book. Does anybody know where I can read the review? Thanks.... :)

I think it's a Bangkok Classic myself but I'm curious to see another opinion.

The online version sucked. So many contradictions among the characters, no logical character development. Just pschyzophrenic.

What else do you expect to get when you try and combine a whole bunch of stories into one without ironing out the rough spots. Hopefully the paper version is much thicker cause he did a better job of it.

<<burp>>

My guess is the printed/published version is on narrower paper... I liked the book, read it while watching "the British beer kid" go crazy over a bar girl I was tapping in Clinton Plaza...I think Leather nailed the idiot punter pretty well, and told a lot of tales and stereotypes we have all heard before. I think of that guy and how he ended up whenever I find myself going to far off...

I read the online version.

Scary- yeah, for the clueless.

Accurate? I guess anything is possible.

Decent writing? Absolutely not. The writing style in this story is extremely sophomoric. It's punchy, but not in a Hemmingway-esque style- more in the moon/June/spoon/croon poetry school of writing.

Sometimes, anything with "Bangkok" or "Thailand" in it makes people drool on themselves. F'rinstance, while it's cool that people recognize De Niro's use of Thai in "Analyze This", it was basically just a 2-bit movie, worthy of only re-runs on Asian HBO. Waste of Crystal, too.

Now, the scenes of Sylvia Krystal cruising down the Chao Phrya in the original "Emmanuelle Does Bangkok"- there's a Thai reference with some meat on it's bones! :) In this case, it was a Krystal put to good use. ;)

I just finished Leathers' "SOFT TARGET", currently in local bookstores in paperback. Not a very satisying read: good cops-bad cops-ambivilant cops; you've read it all many times before. A plethora of sub-plots, most of which peter out , big villains' demise defines anti-climatic. It's the kind of book, the closer you get to the end, the more pages you skip.

Has anybody read "SUKHUMVIT", currently in local bookstores? I don't expect much but I do enjoy the Bangkok genre when I'm feeling disconnected back on the other side of the world.

David

Archived