Any racism in Bangkok nightlife?

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Unfortunately there is. A friend of mine from the UK was just here for several weeks and was told at a couple of places (including Long Gun) that the bar was 'members only'. Utter bullshit of course.

Many of the massage parlours also have a surcharge for any non-Thai / non-Asians and it is likely that they would place you in that category as well.

Having said all of that though, I would not let it put me off on visiting as in the majority of places you will have no problem.

Sanuk!

Ditto: I can personally verify that the Long Gun practices that bs.

Check out the fine print on this hotel reservation web page :

http://www.sawadee.com/pattaya/sabaiinn/ .

" Rates are NOT applicable for India, Bahrain, Yemen, Iraq, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Cyprus, Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Kuwait and Lebanon."

I sent them an email thinking perhaps these people get a better rate, than wondering why they get the perfered rate. So the answer I received from my email (stating that I am arriving from Bangalore( said that no rooms are available from the time period I stated which was in middle of October. I was still wondering why there people get a better rate and how could I get this rate.

So I sent a second email a few days later only in this one I stated I was arriving from Kansas. What I received back really disturbed me. They told me that there was no problem in booking a room for that same time period that I had asked for in the email where I lied and told them I was from India.

If you try some others hotels on this same link you will find many other places that print that the rates are not applicable for people of certain countries. Does this sound like racism to you?

I didn't spend the time checking out the others,but I suspect it is the same mob mentality found in use at many diferent hotels and bars and other places across Thailand.

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black don't you think. ::

Shit.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good !! nice to see the "Fake PC world" we are been forced to live in doesnt work so well in Thailand!!

I wouldnt want to see anyonme been rude etc to a foreign person etc.

And lets have alook at USA.... Look how they treat us Brits etc when we want to go on Holiday !!!

I like the none PC world.. it smells better !!

Khunsanuk

Racism is a part of our lives. You have experienced it and the rest of us to. The Thais have their ways and I like some of them... Thats all. I dont like abuse and alot of these guys abuse the girls and not pay them etc. Its a fact that applies not just in Thailand.

Your allowed to have Black clubs in london... But no chance of having a white only one !!

So tell me what you reccon racism is????? Its a pile of poo all mixed up with some PC noncense.

The thais dont have a problem having japanese only places...

Good luck to them.

And many many people I spoke to in Pattaya / Bangkok etc say the same. Its the real world we live in..

What is the difference between a member saying he cant understand ladyboys etc and all guys that go with them are gay etc. Its his opinion. Some will agree some wont...... And me saying i like the way it is in Thailand. Only because I have sen what it s like in Uk etc..... its mad and its out of control.

But its your forum etc... so I will listen etc to your advice etc.

There is a good reason for a lot of the attitude held by the Thais concerning this matter. It doesnt mater if we think they are right. Its their country not ours.

I agree i would not want to to a racist. I am a "realist" though...

My comments are only about certain members of a race etc that have made a terrible reputation for the other members.

You try been a Normal good Nigerian in Uk!! No Bank will touch you. Credit card companies etc ,I have seen the internal paperwork. Its not very "PC" I can assure you. See how they are treated by landlords etc. The Police, companies etc. Same in Turkey, Germany and france. USA is getting onboard.

Are we allowed to ask why Thai hotels clubs ,girls have such opinions and rules???? Can we debate them wether we agree or not????.

When I refer to "British Scum".. does that make me a racist??

If you look you will see. Most American and Uk blacks etc do not have a problem. Why ??? because they behave differently.. They have more respect and dont spend there time trying to scam everybody (Like some of the Brits in Thailand !!). Also they might dress differently..this will be the first thing that most Girls/security guys will judge on... I saw it work at "Bed" same guys diffent accents and dress. One lot in the other told No ...

Another Guy:

Indians I found are liked. I had a great time with some in Q-bar etc. No problems geting in or other bars we went to.

(Mad fukkers when they Dance those Indian Boys !!)

I have never tried to get into a japanese only style club. But i reccon i could If I turned up in a Mercedes and wearing a bespoke suit (And me been good looking etc !!). Might give it atry one day.

To bring a little perspective on this issue. Yes there is a vein of racism in the P4P scene in Thailand. I actually think discrination is more prevalent than racism. Contrary to popular beliefs espoused here, almost every ethnicity gets discriminated. Those that profess that only Blacks and Indians are disliked have not really been in the scene that long.

You will find that alot depends on where u go for your P4P experiences. Certain areas seem to cater to certain groups. Nana bars are heavily patronized by white males, whereas Patpong is a little more diverse with their clientele.

Some girls will never patronize Thais, some girls avoid all farangs, some will never patronize non-Japanese, some girls will not patronize Africans, Brits, Aussies, Arabs, Americans, Germans, US military, Indians etc. Some girls will not even go with guys that appear too young or dress in a certain manner.

The discrimnation all depends on the girls, perceptions and personal experiences. There is of course always an exception to the rule. This is dependent upon the girls need for cash, how drunk she is, how well a friend of hers did with the type she likes to avoid, curiousity, etc.

What you will find is that there is a P4P niche that caters to every group imaginable.

Archived