Left Overs

Torneyboy

Thais and the left over food?

I Know falang will *wrap* the rest of a roast and keep for a fry up next day or use for sandwiches etc..

The Thais appear to keep just about every scrap for the next meal?

I have seen up country they put the food in glass cabinets..(gaps everywhere)..and or in the fridge,uncovered btw.

No way i would have seconds of this food.

Of late we have had a number of *cooks* in our home and much food left over (they always cook to much food).

I try to throw the stuff out..as it smells when i open the door!!!

No way..wife and the other Thai cooks in my home all need to re use the food.......

You guys have this in your homes?....what do you say to the cook/wife/Gf?? :dunno:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too many cooks spoil the broth, Torney! (that's why Thais cook Tom Yam with the leftovers and not broth!)

if you are not allowed to throw some food stuff out, throw some cooks out; otherwise they will keep all the food stuff and throw you out, Torney! a good trick as well would be to prepare the leftovers so that it stinks like hell (your chemist or parmacy will help!). or if you turn on the chimney and put all leftovers on the grill for a great barbeque disaster?

samak said:

too many cooks spoil the broth, Torney! (that's why Thais cook Tom Yam with the leftovers and not broth!)

if you are not allowed to throw some food stuff out, throw some cooks out; otherwise they will keep all the food stuff and throw you out, Torney! a good trick as well would be to prepare the leftovers so that it stinks like hell (your chemist or parmacy will help!). or if you turn on the chimney and put all leftovers on the grill for a great barbeque disaster?

Now lets see>>> "turn on the Chimney"..no switch on a wood fire...last i looked :neener:

"grill for a disaster"..%$#%^&...i am a good cook as well..no way i will let them beat me that way...

Thanks Chef Samak :neener:

Enjoy your frozen TV dinner..... :p

hahaha torney, you beat yourself :neener:

i just come back from a tasty dinner in a cosy restaurant in LOS (less than 500 THB for several dishes and beer for two)!

and Torney is enforced to get feeded with dubious dishes made from several days old leftovers prepared by self declared cooks! :neener:

enjoy your meal (hope it is not your last supper!)! :neener:

PS: you can start a new thread if you need to know how to set a nice fire in the chimney! certainly not with leftovers! :neener:

Oddly, I find when we have food left from a restaurant, Thais usually want to leave it, I tell them "take for the people on the street with no food..." and they say o.k. Last trip, my new friend Roi Et Girl had some left over ribs she kept over night, just in the air conditioned room, then in the cargo hold of the bus back from Ko Samet...she was ready to dig in for a snack, and I warned her not to eat them as they had no doubt spoiled. She replied "...darling, no problem, I am Thai people, can eat 2-3 days, o.k...." Like anything else, they waste nothing why throw out food, as they may get hungry later...

Funny story, which of course involves Si Saket girl. Last year, I flew over for her birthday, we had a big spread of food at the apartment she shares with her sister and brother in law, Lots of guests, and tons of food and beer left over. Sister, bro in law, SSG and Me, and another couple all went out to a disco after dinner...on the way home, we talked of eating the left overs, and having more beers...we went home and all had been consumed by thiose who remained behind... No idea how they could eat like that...but I once saw the 40KG wonder eat a whole fish...she was so cute munching away on the head...ah the memories...

TB,

I can't throw food away. Just can't unless it smells funny.

FOr certain types of food (don't ask me for names please) it tastes better the next day so supplying the fridge with leftovers is a house rule where I come from. :)

"...certain types of food (don't ask me for names please) it tastes better the next day ..."

Pot roast for one!! Smothered Pork or chicken is another! In general, I don't like to waste food. What ever is left can be eaten later, or given to someone with no food.

Hi Zaad,

Not just a day or two....sometimes the dish is so old she/we don't know what it is/was :doah:

I grab another and she will say..no no not that one i need it..i say ok..when ...i just need it :p

I think i will buy a second fridge..with a lock just for me :grinyes:

Archived