Left Overs

Torneyboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie said:

"...certain types of food (don't ask me for names please) it tastes better the next day ..."

Pot roast for one!! Smothered Pork or chicken is another! In general, I don't like to waste food. What ever is left can be eaten later, or given to someone with no food.

Hi OH.

Yes any dishes like that are great next day.....not a week later..will be like a rock.

She will save a dish like a soup..Tom Yum Goong for example...the seafood not eaten at best next day...must be binned..imo.

not only does it taste better after a couple of day, also the nutritional value increases. just consider the growing molds, worms (high content of proteins) and other small creatures adding up every day! :neener:

and yes it is very much part of the thai culture; "sai thung" the request to fill the leftovers in bags to take them home is the most heard word in Thai Restaurants!

I just can´t throw out food either particular not good thai food as it takes quite some effort to cook outside thailand in the first case!

While in LOS I´ve gotten used to my GFs family taken the best leftover dishes home & it makes great sense indeed - otherwise the restaurant would just reuse them right?

In BGs apartments they often don´t have fridges or mostly use to keep their cokes & beers cold! So usual way there is to store leftovers from the meal they took away from the marked is to pack back in the plastic bags or simply keep on the plate/bowl & perhaps put another plate on top to keep out the worst flies & bugs!!

I don´t mind really as I´m doing a similar way these days ;>

Proteines & chillies keep the doctor away right ;)

Pheasant is delicious but only if prepared properly. The process requires that having shot the bird you hang it for several days, ideally somewhere not too cold, so that the maggots just start to form. Then pluck and cook. I think pigeon also benefits from this procedure. Have had excellent pigeon in Malaysia but sadly no pheasnt in LOS.

Cheers,

M.

Archived