interesting read

thai3

thai3 said:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=6889

Their guidebooks picture a world of grasping, stupid peasant girls, known as "LBFMs" ... are full of robust advice on "scrogging" as many Thai women in as short a time and for as little money as possible.

. Soi Nana is not like the grim red light districts of London or New York, with their backdrop of organised crime, violence, and drug use.

What specifically should we object to? To stamp out the sex trade would cause enormous harm in a country that fails abjectly, despite its relative wealth, to provide for its poor. After four years, I find that the only aspect that can get me really heated about sex tourism in Thailand is the hypocrisy, from both the trade's apologists and its enemies.

each year many Thai women are sold into the sex trade in Japan, that they arrive thinking they are going to work as nannies or waitresses and find themselves saddled with "debts" of $25,000-45,000 and forced to work them off by yakuza gangsters in brothels known as "black jails."

What's scrogging?

Okay, so there are no pimps or organised crime, but then there are yakuza gangs etc. What gives? There either is or there isn't.

What about the disappearing traditional tourist attractions? Anyone noticed the grand palace or wat po disappear?

The thing that I find irritating is that the geezer lived with his missus and kids for 4 years on Soi Nana. 4 years! Come on. Stick it out for a few months or maybe a year but if it's that bad then get the hell out. Or maybe they found the sleaze exotic at first?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you replied so quickly you did not have time to read the website and as a denialist whatever evidence will be dismissed as hysteria, self seeking bigotory etc etc. However as the site lists actual arrests I take this as hard facts of abuse by western pedo's, of course being a resident for the last few months you know better, it's all made up of course by the evil NGO's whose only goal is to put a stop to these people. Strange that people on the one hand will condem child abuse and in the same breath slag off the parties involved in fighting it, seems rather contradictory.

I'll ignore the last para, don't want to get in the gutter with you :)-peter

HIGH THAIED said:

I have only just glanced over it, but did notice a few figures. 1 million sex tourists a year, and approx. 200,000 Thai prostitues.

HT

1 million sex tourist, average stay 7 nights, equals 7million nights.

200.000 prostitutes, work 330 nights/year equals 66 million nights.

Thus if each prostitute works 30 nights/year that's about right for 1 million tourist, no?

1 million prostitutes have 330 million nights available for paid sex.

There is a hole in the bucket dear HT....

Hi thalenoi

>>>1 million sex tourist, average stay 7 nights, equals 7million nights.

200.000 prostitutes, work 330 nights/year equals 66 million nights.

Thus if each prostitute works 30 nights/year that's about right for 1 million tourist, no?

1 million prostitutes have 330 million nights available for paid sex.<<<

Not sure I'm following you here. 200,000 to 1 million is a 5 to 1 ratio. Meaning the same girl, for every 5 guys. If Nok does 5 guys a year, and Noi does 5 guys a year, then figures will jive. But is that reasonable? Of course not. Nok and Noi do many more than that, on average, which would mean the 200,000 figure of Thai prostitutes involved, is ridiculous.

But you also have to remember that the 200,000 figure is the Thai estimate of *All* prostitutes in Thailand. Not just the farang market. So we are mixing apples and oranges here.

It's really hard to get a good take on it all. The key is remembering the tourist aspect, is a small percentage of overall. But that can be defined better, because can be estimated how many are involved there, on the farang side, with reasonable certainy due to records. But then I might do 20 girls in a 2 week period, while a newbie only interacts with one.

So in the end, no one really knows. It's just safe to say sex is easy in Thailand, and is very famous world wide for it. Only 200,000 out of a country of 65 million providing all the commotion?

Me thinks NOT!

Archived