interesting read

thai3

Just because it might be less visible than it once was does not mean it is any less does it? People on a trip for a few days or ex pats with vested interests are not in a very good position for giving an accutate picture of what's going on one way or the other. Many sources claim there are westerners arrested 'almost on a daily basis' for underage sex see: http://www.childrights-cambodia.org/cambodia-child-sex.htm I am quite convinced child sex and indentured sex is still a greater problem in cambodia than many other countries. Of course the denialists think otherwise and will always need to have another view no matter what the reality. Strange how those claiming that it is now much less of a problem never praise the work of the NGO's for putting pressure on the authorities, or celebebrate the closing of brothel villages like K11-peter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seem to be the only one in this discussion that is totally focused to the point of obscession about underage activities despite the original post containing many salient points. Me thinks you doth protest too much........ and poorly as well.

Obviously your 'many sources' include ones with their own scare agenda such as you posted here. I can unequively state that there are no daily arrests of westerners here for underaged sex activities. In fact in the past 4 months I can only recall one such incident and that was of dubious validity and no prosecution has occured. As long a moralistically motivated uninformed dupes buy into the selfpromoting money raising scaremongering propaganda put forward by some of these NGOs, the problem will not be alieviated. For these groups and their naive, uninformed and selfrighteously driven supporters, the elimination of all underage activities would destroy not only their significant personal incomes, but deny them the smug satisfaction of their purported moral, cultural and religious superiority. This excludes those whoever, are still searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the Fountain of Youth in Florida, and the Virgin Mary in a Cheese Sandwich.

This does not endose underage activities in any way. It simply condems the puritanical rantings of self centered bigots with little or no first hand knowledge. I hope your opinions on Morlam music have a little more first hand knowledge, or is it also all based on listening to one CD bought over the internet?

<<Strange how those claiming that it is now much less of a problem never praise the work of the NGO's for putting pressure on the authorities, or celebebrate the closing of brothel villages like K11-peter >>

Blatent bullshit as you will see I said it was a good thing to close anywhere that supports child sex abuse.

It seems your more interested in stirring than in intelligent discussion, and I still hold to the premise that by continually holding the place as No1 destination for Child Sex then your advertising that fact. If more general tourist go there, as it happens in Thailand it will not last, too many ugly iddleaged white women will complain.

To make that ridiculous comment about NGO's show's continuing spreading of dis information. You will know from other boards that we have been on that I work with Meechai's group and others.

DOG

Can't we all just get along? lol.

I think we all can agree that underaged/indentured is a bad thing. It does go on in Cambodia. We're not here to promote it there or anywhere.

NGO's do blow things out of proportion to continue funding.

<<burp>>

too many ugly iddleaged white women will complain.

-----------------------------------------

What is this kind if vitriol and mysoginistic characterisation doing in the debate on going after pedophilia in Cambo? ::

I have been rightly deleted a few days ago because I misspoke of asian-americans, should this be permitted because there is no white middle-aged woman on NP?

What if a few young beautiful white women complain about pedophilia? ::

Saw that article in paper too.

The "girl" looked at least 30. The "girl" also looked like a bloke.

The archetypal tatooed, beer gutted Brit sex tourist that the article was complaining most about looked like it could have been David Hasselhof, a god amongst men as I'm sure most would agree.

Found the article to be the usual salacious, scare mongering crap. Nobody in their right mind supports underage or indentured prostitution. This article was anti the sex industry. I thought that there were two sides to most arguments. Why shouldn't sex be sold? You can buy most everything else.

Wow.......

Really good report.

Seems as though the reporter does not have great issues, other than wanting to get to the truth. And that buys a lot in validity, at least for me.

I have only just glanced over it, but did notice a few figures. 1 million sex tourists a year, and approx. 200,000 Thai prostitues.

If you figure the tourist trade only at 10% of Thai/Thai prostitution, that comes to 10 million different people getting laid there, every year, from paid sex. So according to above figures, comes to an average of 1 prostitute servicing 50 different guys a year, or 1 different punter per week.

There are many, many different forms of prostitution there, to be sure. Some doing 50 a month, and other sideline girl's only doing because cannot meet rent occasionally, and everything in between.

I would think the number a girls who sell themselves there, is much higher than 200,000. It is a very small percentage that are taking on 50 different guys a year. Nana, Cowboy, Pat Pong, Phuket......all make up a very small portion of the overall situation.

Is not that hard to get a handle on the amount of foriegn tourists coming to Thailand for sex. It's almost impossible though, to detirmine how many Thai woman (and to a small degree, Thai men), are actually providers.

200,000 is the Thai goverment figures. I would guess easily a million involved, on a regular basis. That would put it at 1 prositute for every ten guys, overall on average. Which is not unreasonable, in other corners of the world.

But we'll never really know. :dunno: It's a great insightfull report, all the same, I think. Seems to be looking at the situation quite objectively, IMO.

HT

Archived