Sin sot-a TG view

thai3

your GF is very likely a kamin like mine where the traditions are slightly more complex than lao or thai and I would say they seem more important to them, just my impression

My impression is the opposite -- the fact that they are Khmer is likely irrelevent to a sin sot discussion IMO (unless they are actually Cambodian Khmers, in which case I have no experience on which to base an opinion).

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sinsot I put 100 000 bath on a cloth gathered some gold and then we took pictures of it. Then I got the money and gold back.

The family of my wife earned some respect and I showed that I cared about the feelings of my wife and her family.

When we left for home we had about 20 000 bath left that we gave the MIL and we send some money every month. Not much but enough for the MIL to have a good life.

My wife have some friends and not all of them send money home. That is ok for some given their financial status. One husband though when hearing that some husbands send money to Thailand said something like 'yea I will do that ..... when I'm 80 .. he he '

The other girls and my wife did not like that comment, and my wife later told me that she would never marry a man like that. Not because he did not send money but becuase he did not respect the 'family' at all.

I guess what I say is that no matter what you choose regarding money be sure to be respectfull and show that you care about the wife and her family. Sending no money with the explanation that you do not have the money to take care of the wife and your children as well as the extended family is better than saying you just don't give a fuck.

PS.. forgot one part.

When we married in Thailand my wife had already lived with me in my country for a year and knew my financial status. I did not have to negotiate anyting my wife and her family suggested the 'picture' deal them self.

Before we even got 'serious' I have told my wife to be about how farangs might seem wealthy in Thailand while being straight middle class at home and she knew what she went to. No unfullfilled expectations.

You might say I did the negotiation long before the issue about sin sot came up.

This sin sod always seems to provoke a lot of discussion.

My take is that 100,000 or 200,000 baht is small potatoes in any case and if it will make you future wife happy well why not.

One thing you don't want is for things to start off on the wrong foot and there to be a whole lot of ill feeling over a few thousand dollars.

You would be paying far more for any sort of wedding in the west.

You could always stipulate that you want the money to go to your wife after the ceremony.

I also thought that the guests gave money to the bride and groom which could be sometimes just as much as the sin sod.

I only see this as being an issue if you believe the realtives and future wife are taking the piss.

As for the exact amount well I am with JJ on this one.

Everything is negotiable and you have to remember in Thailand that you should never ever accept the first price.

She decided to cash her chips in early when more money asked for was not forthcoming. Actually I think his dad paid for most of the wedding and also went with granny from europe for the wedding. I imagine they were less than impressed with the outcome. !00,000 is nothing as you say but in some cases you might as well have thrown it out of the window so it becomes wasted, I don't want to end up in that position :(-peter

I have attended 5 or 6 weddings in the last two years (incl. my own).

All of them were in BKK, and most higher middle class and the odd Hi-So wedding in between.

Sin sot was part of all of these weddings. All of the weddings (except mine of course) were thai-thai, and the lowest was 400000 Baht plus the usual gold etc. The highest one was 5 mil.

As far as I am aware in all cases the Sin Sot has been returned in full, or has been used in exchange for an even bigger wedding present from the families, i.e. a new House or a round the world trip.

The funny thing is, we farangs are thinking we are getting shafted easily, and we are worried, I guess mostly with the right concerns.

Speaking with my thai friends they can`t see all the furore and discussion behind it. They grow up with it, it`s part of their culture, it gives them the chance to show off, and to show their better half how much she is worth to them. To many of them it seems to be a good thing to do. The higher the better.

As for the wedding costs... all the couples had weddings of 400+ people, and they made all quite some profit. Not uncommon to find 10 or 20k in an envelope from someone you didn`t even know (Happened to me, and still don`t know).

For sinsot I put 100 000 bath on a cloth gathered some gold and then we took pictures of it.

I have no intention of getting married, but just in case I will bear this in mind - in fact I may refine this - and just go into a jewellers with a camera. :D

One_More said:

For sinsot I put 100 000 bath on a cloth gathered some gold and then we took pictures of it.

I have no intention of getting married, but just in case I will bear this in mind - in fact I may refine this - and just go into a jewellers with a camera. :D

:clown::neener:

One_More said:

:clown::neener:

Archived