Another worm/virus out there, and it got me...

...even though I run ZoneAlarm Pro and AVG! This was before the latest auto update of ZA (now on 5.5.094). I cannot find any info on it, but it dumps a proggie called sdkimprovement.exe into the system32 folder. Symptoms are that things slow way down, cannot send email, and you cannot open the Task Manager window to kill it. It may be a variation on the Win32.Sdbot.

I also got infected with Trojan Wurmark.B at the same time. Dunno know how as ZA should have stopped that and I do not open any files that seem suspect. Actually this seems to be the deliverer of the above problem.

Anyway, HijackThis, ProcessExplorer and Pocket Killbox did the trick cleaning my confuser.

Still not sure how this happened, but it has shaken my faith in ZA.

And my AVG anti-virus is still injured in that it cannot scan emails as they are downloaded from the server. Any ideas outside of reinstall it?

Cheers,

SD

Outpost and antivir.

But outpost is a bitch to learn.

Antivir is great for a freeware anti-virus software. Downside is that unless you're on broadband the updates are too big (3MB for virus definition), but they are always fast answering to new viruses.

I think you should blame AVG instead of ZoneAlarm. I switched to NOD32 afer I got infected with a virus and AVG didn't detect it.

If you don't think the cost of NOD32 is worth it, you always find it out there in torrent land.

ZoneAlarm is not anti-virus software, so why are you blaming it for a virus?

ZA will stop a virus from calling out, unless you specifically give it permission to let the virus do its thing.

johnsanders said:

ZoneAlarm is not anti-virus software, so why are you blaming it for a virus?

Cuz this was a worm that carried a virus payload. ZA *should* have blocked the worm from my confuser.

Cheers,

SD

I also got hit yesterday, but not sure what. Completely f$cked the computer, unable to shut down, and would not start up, not even in safe mode.

What a complete mess it is when your computer is wiped out. Fortunately data back up isn't an issue, and with the laptop / home computer I'm still mobile - but not the same when the main computer is out of action.

Archived