another way to say farang or foreigner?

Dude_Le_Rude

monkey's post in the other section got me thinking...

is there another common way to say foreigner in Thai?

not specifying farang or ippun or whatever...

then, do most thai people use farang more than this general word if they are talking about a caucasian person, for example.

thanks.

Hi,

"is there another common way to say foreigner in Thai?"

Yes, it's 'khon taang chart', it's a more polite way of speaking.

"do most thai people use farang more than this general word if they are talking about a caucasian person"

Depends on the situation and who is speaking.

Sanuk!

[color:"blue"]Yes, it's 'khon taang chart', it's a more polite way of speaking.

[/color]

KS, "Chow taang chart" is more formal words that most my friends use in writing or speaking. When we want to put emphasis, we use the word "chow khon taang chart" which normally means the persons we are talking about are either close friends or the ones we don't have the good feelings about. :) I have been called such name when they felt that I was a bit too "westernized", well moi??? :dunno::scared:

Also, "chow taang dow" is also used.

Cheers!

'bak sida' is lao/isaan for guava fruit...it doesn't reallly mean 'westerner/caucasian', but is used jokingly as such since 'farang' doubles both as westerner and guava fruit in meaning.

In lao/isaan fruits are generally refered to with 'bak', for example 'bak hung' = papaya.

Baksida is bar girl humour. The word for a Farang in Lao/Isaan is actually Fahng or Falang. (There is no R sound in Lao.)

Bahk-see-dah is the Isaan name for a guava, which is called a farang in Thai. The Portuguese brought the seeds from South America over 400 years ago, so the tree was called the DTON FAH-RANG. Some BGs probably came up with the idea of switching baksida for farang and applying it to us! But I have never heard a Farang (person) called a Baksida anywhere except amongst the BG circle. Use it in Laos and you will get some uncomprehending looks.

Hey Khun Sanuk, and everyone.

Yes, it's 'khon taang chart', it's a more polite way of speaking.

"do most thai people use farang more than this general word if they are talking about a caucasian person"

Depends on the situation and who is speaking.

thanks for the language lessons.

I guess I am wondering if the use of the word farang is looking down on westerners? I am sure the nuances of the language and so on are too complicated for a simple anser to this...

Peace!

Archived