MSMessenger Blues...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiger,

Try to "uninstall" the Windows Messenger (default version) in the Add / Remove Windows Components section of the Add or Remove Programs module in the Control Panel. This is NOT the same as the Messenger Service.

Did you recently reinstall your Windows OS?

Works fine for me, I'm using MSN Messenger 7.0, along with Yahoo Instant Messenger and Skype too!

Cheers!

Have done that 100 times. It installs just fine with no errors and deinstalls fine with no errors. But when I go to log on, it just kicks back to the log in screen. I know my log on & password are OK cuz they work with Trillian and GAIM. I have tried uninstalling those as well in case of a conflict with MSM, but no joy. No OS reinstall in many months. All of this started when I was *ordered* by MSM to install a new version (7.0 over 6.2).

Cheers,

SD

LaoHuLi said:

try deleting all the cookies,and caches.... often the cause of conflicts with new upgrades.

Also clean out the temporary file

c:/windows/temp

If you have a recent version of Norton Utilities (Clean Sweep/Cleanup), it can do this for you much easier than you can do it yourself, since some of the files are protected (such as the daily temp file created by ZoneAlarm). Note that you won't be able to delete all the temp files, since some actually are in use, but that's OK. Just get rid of the ones that you can.

It's a good idea to clean the temp file before installing any new software.

Suadum,

I had this exact same problem, not sure if you understood my reply.

"just keeps returning to the login screen"

Look at the login screen and do the "help" / "about" menu, and see if it shows Ver 7.0 (build 7.0.0813), or if is shows Version 4.3.

If Version 4.3 then you need to uninstall both versions, and version 4.3 can only be uninstalled as per my reply:

Try to "uninstall" the Windows Messenger (default version) in the Add / Remove Windows Components section of the Add or Remove Programs module in the Control Panel. This is NOT the same as the Messenger Service.

That WILL fix the problem. Trust me.

Hi PM,

KK gave me the same advice but I've checked and Windows Messenger isn't installed on my pc. I don't have my problem any more as I don't try to log in myself and let the program handle that itself.

elef

OK, how weird is this? I did nothing but try to log on again just now to see if I was having the issue you described. Well, the fucker logged me on! After 100+ tries and reloading the bastard a dozen times. Will it work tomorrow? Who knows?!?!?!?!?

I hate Microsoft!

Cheers,

SD

Archived