MSMessenger Blues...

For some reason, I cannot get MSM 7.0 to work on my computer not matter the settings or how many times I load it. It will come up, but not allow me to sign it -- just keeps returning to the login screen.

So I am on the search for another client. I have found GAIM and Trillian. They work fine as far as typed chat goes, but neither work with the MSM Web Cam feed (nor do they seem to support Thai character set). I really want that feature as I use this to chat with daughters & wife while they are in the States and video chat is infinitely more fun.

No use suggestion other apps that do not support MSM as a) the girls have their network of friends on MSM and will not give that up and B) they are not super computer savvy and I would hate to chance them screwing up what they already have when I am not there to fix it.

Ideas?

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SD,

yes, there's something wrong with the new Messenger. If I log in I get a message that I logged in from an other computer so it's closing an other Messenger. If I not log in it's working, so probably I've 2 different versions of Messenger running same time on my pc. First you can try to uninstall Messenger 7.0 and see if there still is the older one and if that one works.

elef

suadum said:

Ideas?

Cheers,

SD

Yes.

I used to have exactly the same problem when my GF was still in LOS and I was here stuck in farangland.

We used MSN or Yahoo for the videofeed, but that would fuck up the chatting.

So for chatting we used skype. works perfectly !

You can find skype here : www.skype.com ,its all free.

I hope this will solve it.

BB

Thanks, but can't. As I said, MSM will not work at all on my confuser, so I cannot use it for chat or video or anything. And I do not want the girls to load anything as it may screw up their computer. It all has to be on my end -- their end must remain the same.

Cheers,

SD

elef said:

Hi SD,

yes, there's something wrong with the new Messenger. If I log in I get a message that I logged in from an other computer so it's closing an other Messenger. If I not log in it's working, so probably I've 2 different versions of Messenger running same time on my pc. First you can try to uninstall Messenger 7.0 and see if there still is the older one and if that one works.

elef

I wonder if this is due to MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger running on your machine- they are 2 different apps (Ithink), but easy to confuse. I think they both use the same log-in. I know there are some tweaks/settings somewhere that will stop Win Messenger from starting at startup

Archived