Hiv/Aids

Cyberoy69

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

After all the people who have been banned on this site for airing their point of view, surely this is someone at last that deserves it. This is not the sort of information that should be on a board about Sanuk in Bangkok.

It is not the sort of information that should be anywhere....

Roger,

We are in the health forum of Nanaplaza, where such matters can be debated, discussed by intelligent people. As long as discussions don't denegrate members or descend in to personal insults, are not racist etc then thats what forums are about.

If my opinion differed from yours regarding say heart disease, or Polio would you want me banned?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

In fact I have visited Virus Myth and I believe it is a deliberate campaign of dis-information. I spotted a number of things I know to be wrong from reading elsewhere.

For example, Virus Myth states there are no recorded instances of HIV infection from needle stick injury.

Yes there is, there is a well documneted case of a French female hospital worker who did exactly that.

And many more.

I would be cynical about anything you read on that site. And what's more; I'm not sure just what their motives are for the dis-information...tread carefully.

Hi Stumpdog,

I read about that French worker as well and another person in Australia. The guy in Australia claimed to have caught it by pricking himself with a needle emptying it from a bin.

He was a binman or something. 2 or 3 years down the line he tested positive. He sued the health authority.

He was a married man and claimed never to have injected drugs, or had relations with men.

To counter his mutlimillion dollar law suit they obtained evidence through a private detective that he was in actual fact well known in gay cruising areas and had many partners.

I cant comment on the French hospital worker, but merely point out that people may be motivated from a claim point of view to distort the facts.

Apparently from the data the virus dies very very quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

If my opinion differed from yours regarding say heart disease, or Polio would you want me banned?

If we were in a country where people came to eat fried breakfasts and doughnuts as the main part of their holiday and you were to say "Don't worry you can't get heart disease from eating fatty foods" then, yes I would want you banned.....

Spirit, if you practice what you preach, don't expect a lot of sympathy when your soul someday departs your 20 kilo, sore-ridden carcass. Maybe some of your fellow travellers from VM will carry your coffin, huh?

Seriously, have you ever even considered why anyone would bother to invent a "virus myth"? There are hundreds of easier ways to run fake funding scams on governments.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

If we were in a country where people came to eat fried breakfasts and doughnuts as the main part of their holiday and you were to say "Don't worry you can't get heart disease from eating fatty foods" then, yes I would want you banned.....

Well Roger,

Your entitled to your opinion, something you would want to deny me. No where have I suggested a person should practice unprotected sex, no where at all.

I am aware of HEP C and HEP B and Syphilis.

I personally unless I know the BG always wear a condom because I don't want the 100 and 1 things you can catch VERY easily.

I know personally 3 or 4 people who have had to be admitted to hospital because of Gonohrea and indeed was with 1 guy when he went down with the symptoms

There will always be differences of opinion, and it is the often emotional responses from people when discussing hiv that I want to debate.

Careful and considered debate about hiv is what is needed, to channel resources precisely where th.ey will help most, not emotive reactions

Your own reaction typifies what I'm saying.

frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: spirit_of_town_hall ]

quote:

Originally posted by bohicasia:

Spirit, if you practice what you preach, don't expect a lot of sympathy when your soul someday departs your 20 kilo, sore-ridden carcass. Maybe some of your fellow travellers from VM will carry your coffin, huh?

Seriously, have you ever even considered why anyone would bother to invent a "virus myth"? There are hundreds of easier ways to run fake funding scams on governments.

Hi,

I have very carefully considered why people etc would say there is a real risk etc.

Firstly about 16 years ago 1985, we all started hearing about AIDS, in the early 80's it was first discovered in San francisco amoungst gay men.

Initially they probably did genuienly believe like most virus epidemics it would spread in to the general population.

It hasn't in Europe and N America. Thats pretty much what has got me genuinely interested, I started to read, observed myself, looked around and couldnt see any evidence of its spreading.

I do realise the situation is different in Africa, but I read further and that was explained.

My academic backgroung is in organic chemistry and to some extent micro biology, so I was more than happy to read text from well respected academics on the topic and it annoyed me when I saw what pressure they and others were under when it came to publishing their findings.

quote:

Originally posted by bohicasia:

Here in San Francisco, in the early days of AIDS/HIV, there was much misleading info put out on the subject. Part of it was put out do to lack of information, panic, ignorance and part of it was put out to gain support for reasearch. Remember, in the early days, this was concidered a "gay desease." The hetero-sexual community wasn't much concerned, until it appeared that they could get it also. Many myths exist about aids, trouble is people hear them, and they become fact. Until there is a cure, or preventative vaccine, we either abstain, or use percautions, otherwise we end up statistics.

As for anyone wanting someone banned from the forum because their views differ, I doubt that is truely the case. However, we should all try to steer eachother to the proper sources for accurate, varifiable information on all subjects. To the best of my knowledge, most of us have little or no medical school training, and are far from experts in infectious deseases, so all we should rely on eachother for are directions to those who are.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

quote:

Well Roger,

I know personally 3 or 4 people who have had to be admitted to hospital because of Gonohrea and indeed was with 1 guy when he went down with the symptoms

Well, lets see you seem to be advocating for a site with myth in its title, a well descirbed site if I've ever seen one. For truly what they are presenting is a myth cloaked in academia. Just because someone has a degree or a faculty appointment doesn't make them an expert in every field, although many PhDs and MD believe it does.

You observe you've been with friends who, "admitted to hospital because of Gonohrea." Well, I worked in STDs for several years, and I've yet to see anyone be admited for GC. All it takes is a simple course of antibiotic either oral or by injection to treat it. Of course most folks think they got it off a toilet seat to begin with, or that is their first story, not from having sex with someone.

As to your right to discuss this issue. If you were in the US I'd defend your right to discuss it in the proper forum, e.g., in peer reviewed journals, but not on the "street corner" where it is akin to screaming fire in a crowded room. Besides, there is no promise of "free speech" on this or any other board.

Lastly, come on Trink, sign your own name.

quote:

Careful and considered debate about hiv is what is needed, to channel resources precisely where th.ey will help most, not emotive reactions

Sorry , but my reaction came from your first comment which was "men can not catch HIV from a woman". That was not what I call "careful and considered debate"

Ok, it has to be said... by their grammar you will know them...

quote:

Initially they probably did genuienly believe like most virus epidemics it would spread in to the general population.

It hasn't in Europe and N America. Thats pretty much what has got me genuinely interested, I started to read, observed myself, looked around and couldnt see any evidence of its spreading.

Archived