Heart Flutters

It may be something of nothing but I noticed that my heart started fluttering after I had my regulation 2 cups of coffee this morning.

It was like this huge butterfly inside me flapping its wings just under the heart. Do I need to get this checked out or just change the brand of coffee?

Bangkok Phil :

Was it the same coffee you regularly drink?

any hot ladies walking by at the time?

( had to say it) smile.gif" border="0

Were you eating anything you normally do not have at the same time. like sugary food?

taken any cold medicine ( with ephadra extract) around the same time.

lets hope it was just a one time "quirk"

Phil,

Have you broken any mirrors lately or maybe opened an umberella indoors?

You don't seem to be having much luck.

But in actual fact I get heart flutters from time to time although not as regularly as after morning coffee.

It is a worrying thing when it happens though.

I would just ask, is the coffee home made or are you buying it out? There was a question about Starbucks putting ephedrine or psuedo ephedrine into their coffee which could most certainly cause heart flutters.

I would certainly try changing coffee brand if that is what seems to cause it. A flutter is enough to concern me so changing brands must be worth it...

Let me know how you get on.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

[QB]It may be something of nothing but I noticed that my heart started fluttering after I had my regulation 2 cups of coffee this morning.

[QB]

I may be of some help, if you could answer a few questions?

Do you know how to check your pulse rate? Is what you feel shortlasting (maybe you do not even have time to check your pulse?).

Is your general health otherwise OK? Can you exercise normally, run stairs without problems, no chest pains or abnormal shortness of breath? Do you have a fainting feeling or just can carry on as usual if this happens? Does it feel like regular or irregular heart beating?

In any case, unless it would increase your level of anxiety substantially, you may consider going to a hospital and explain your problem. They can monitor your heart rate for 24 h (carrying a little taperecorder on your waist), and also see what happens when you drink coffee. If they check your heart, it is worthwhile to have also an ECG, and an echocardiogram.

The sensible thing to do, if you want to forget about all the above, is just to stop or reduce drinking coffee, lots of tea etc. Caffeine is well known to increase heart rate, may increase the likeness of irregular heart beats in some people.

Yes Phil, you should get this checked out. If no abnormality is found, you will have peace of mind. If your symptoms warrant investigation, it is worth it. If anything is found at all, then it most likely can be dealt with using some time-proven medication. Such situations are far more common than one might think. I recommend

Bumrungrad.

I will be away for Halloween in

Pattaya; send me a private e-mail for more info or for a specific referral at Bumrungrad if you feel so inclined.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

It may be something of nothing but I noticed that my heart started fluttering after I had my regulation 2 cups of coffee this morning.

It was like this huge butterfly inside me flapping its wings just under the heart. Do I need to get this checked out or just change the brand of coffee?

I started to get the occational heart palpatation when I was studying for my last degree. I know the strange feeling- a fluttering and sometimes slight pause. Now it comes and goes. I'll get a series of bad days in which it happens every few minutes and then it will go away for months at a time.

I had an EKG and took a stress test (running on a tread mill- not 'how do you feel today?') and they came out ok.

Later, I found out that my father used to have the same problem when he was in his 20s and 30s. Eventually it went away on its own.

Like the others said, get it checked out. I've found, though, that it is a common problem that may not necessarily be the sign of anything severe. When I'm in one of my bad phases, caffeine will get it going worse than normal.

Cheers!

don't know your age or health background, or recreational habits...that said, I have seen this happen, when alcohol and cold remedies mix, or cold remedies on their own, often a few days after you stop using them. Cafine and cold remedies can also trigger it, ags.in even after you stop using one or the other for a few days. Also Potassium tablets, or other "health supplements (such as thermogenics etc...) can do it on their own, or worse when mixed with cafine, or ...cold remedies. such as psuedophedrine, nasal sprays etc...as can changes in exercise patterns, and diet. best to get it checked if it presists!

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

A highly useful and non-invasive test is the 24 hr. Holter Monitor test, in which you would wear a portable tape recorder on your belt. This would monitor your EKG for a full 24 hrs. The cardilogist scans the tape for any abnormality. Fairly inexpensive, very

informative and definitely done at Bumrungrad. You go about your daily routine; and you would be asked to keep a diary of your activities for a 24 hr. period. It could give you peace of mind.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I haven't touched coffee for the last 4 days and there hasn't been a single flutter so I'm inclined to think that that was the cause. I'll still go and get things checked out though.

Archived