Where is the best spinal surgeon in LOS ?

New Petchburi Pete

I now realize that I will require very complex surgery on my cervical spine. I probably have 6 months before permanent nerve damage is sustained. Currently, the last three digits on my right hand barely function at all. The right arm is very weak which is problematic since I am right handed. Presently, it is very difficult when it comes to handwriting. My pain level is very severe. The doctor I see at Pattaya International gave me permission to come in for IV shots of morpheine when I can't stand the pain. I feel like going there now. I can't drive my truck, so my wife has to take me. Waiting around with our two year old son is not easy for her. I will admit that she's a safer driver than I am!

I've seen doctors at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital and Pattaya International Hospital. They concur on the diagnosis and prognosis. Pattaya International quoted me a price of 200,000. Bt. for this very complex procedure: anterior and posterior incisions with harvesting of bone from the hip for fusion of 3 cervical vertebrae. It is a very dangerous operation. Returning to Boston, where I had prior neck surgery ten years ago, is not an option for me due to health insurance difficulties at this time.

My question is where can I find the best qualified surgeon in LOS? And, how do I contact him? Is there a hospital that specializes in surgeries of this nature? I do remember seeing an ad in the Bangkok Post once for such a hospital; but, I don't know anything about the place. I am seeking the best. I welcome all recommendations. I guess I'm starting to feel desperate. ::

Pete,

First off, best to you, you have certainly had your hands full in the past year or so. Get it over with, and get on with living, you have a lot more left in you! :)

O.k. As I think you know, I have severe knee problems, severel surgeries etc...in going through the insurance process, I asked all my doctors who they would go to if they had my problem...almost all of them pointed to a guy at UCSF. That said, maybe start asking your doctors who they would go to for this problem, start hearing the same name,then go check the guy out. This is probably the best way to find a doctor, by a referrel/reference from his peers.

You could also call the U.S. Embassy, and ask them if they know of any competent surgeons who they would recomend for this procedure. They usually have a list of who they would see...though for this they would probably go stateside...

Did have a friend with a serious Hip problem, and later a rod inserted in his back as a spinal brace of sorts, believe he went to Bangkok Nursing home for both. Good luck to you.

Oh, one more thought...maybe email some of the top USA teaching hospitals, or Neuo Surgeons/spinal guys in the USA/Europe, see if they have any collegues in Thailand...maybe they trained a guy, or trained with one in BKK, worth a shot...take care!

Thanks OH and others who have replied.

I just spoke with an orthopedist I know who practices at Bangkok Hospital just off New Petchburi Road. He recommended a surgeon at Bumrungrad, a Dr. Areesak, who did his fellowship in the States at Johns Hopkins. I made an appointment to see him this thursday evening. BTW, he was quite frank in advising me to avoid such extensive surgery in Pattaya.

Hey, good luck with those knees!

BNH on Soi Convent (formerly known as "Bangkok Nursing Home" that Old Hippy refers to) has a Spine Center. I have had no experience with the Spine Center per se but there is more information here:

BNH Spine Center reference

BNH is a very good modern facility and has some great doctors where English is widely spoken. They have a cardiac center as well. If you decide to go with them, check out the Platinum Card offer for possible discounts to the advertised prices. There is a Plat. Card Desk in the lobby for more info.

Good luck with your spine problem and hope it gets resolved quickly.

Archived