Any comebacks for stupidity?

iagra

I'm with Crash on this one. I can;t say I really know that many bargirls well, but the few that I know very well, all of whom are Thermae girls or freelancers, many have Thai boyfriends. In some cases, the Thai guy is in Bangkok, in other cases, he isn't. Of the two gogo girls that I know well, both have boyfriends. While they may not all have boyfriends or husbands, there are often Thai male characters in the shadows...

Stick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

I did see some of the guys often beat their girlfriends after being on the whisky. I saw much family feuding, ya-bah smoking and I saw and knew many of the girls that worked in the farang a go-go's (most the girls in this far-flung suburb slum worked in Nana.

None of the twenty or so regular working girls i met here had boyfriends, and about 3% of other girls i've met/bedded/or known (and it must be more than 100 by now) don't have thai boyfriends and many of these girls i know well

Dan

Can you edit this, I can't tell which side you're on! You've seen guys beating up their girlfriends but none of the girls had boyfriends? 3% of the others did NOT have Thai boyfriends??

As for the other posts, I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between. I was once told by a female NEP bar-owner that 90% of her girls have Thai boyfriends. Why would she lie about that? Would she think that would make them more attractive to farangs? She knew that I often brought new visitors to the Plaza, and to her bar.

Nepfan, you seem to have the insider's view here, but like Crash, I wonder how closely you are looking. Much of what you write could have been written by someone returning from their first trip here, having heard all the hard luck stories. Remember, we are not just talking about girls who are living in Central Bangkok with their boyfriends. I consider most of the people I hang around with to have a reasonable grasp of the situation here, and to have spent more time here than many yet in the last year 2 or 3 of my friends have been the 'victims' of the most phenomenally skillful lying I have ever witnessed. Girls that I really believed to be different too have turned out to be different only in their mastery of bullshit. The more that I see, the less I believe.

I have spent quite a lot of time in my wife's village over the last 6 years, a very small village which has changed a lot in those 6 years thanks to the donations of others and their are certainly a couple of househusbands there being supported, with their kids, by the efforts of their women. Not yaba-smoking, motorbike fiends, just ordinary young guys without the same range of options as the women in their relationships. I don't think they like being in that position, I think it probably costs them a lot of face and both are currently working in Bangkok for a while, while their wives spend time with their kids.

There are a lot of young guys around the village and I find the vast majority of them to be decent, hard-working blokes when there is work to be done. What they don't have is any women around of their own age and I really don't know what outlets there are for them. I have never seen anything resembling a brothel around that area and feel that by now, given the amount of times I've gotten drunk with them, that I would at last have had an invite!

LG

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

long gun,

similar to my experience. there might be a brothel around as in most village areas, but i don't see it visited by the decent folks you talk about. i see the policemen, the gang of the pujaiban and other richer guys going there.

the people you (and me) get drunk with see in these brothels their wives starting off. for them these brothels mean pain and humilation.

Long Gun,

Good post. I really do not claim to be knowledgeable of bar life outside Nana Plaza and Clinton Plaza. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Surin and Si Saket with more than a few visits to other country locals. I have paid my dues heading out into the bushes with half a coconut shell in my hand.

To your question about have I really looked close. You have no idea how close. Too close. I am very sure I can go into 10 or 12 of the bars at Nana and if you point out a girl at random I'll be able, 30% of the time, to tell you where she is from, her age, how many children she has, who her friends are, the state of her personal life and whether she has regular customers or not. I will be able to tell you how many times she has been bar fined in the last month and if there have been any complaints about her. I'm not bragging about this, as it is nothing to brag about, it's just what I can do. Touluse LaTrec hung out at the Moulin Rouge...I hang out at Nana. I no longer go to Nana for the sex. I go there to watch the nightly drama unfold.

My post was responding to the myth being perpetuated on this board that all the girls have boyfrends and husbands lurking in the background living off of her earnings, depositing semen in her every evening before she goes to work and beating up her customers, or her, every time there is an oppurtunity to make more money. It just isn't like that.

I would like to know what lady bar owner in Nana, (there are 5) said most of her girls have boyfriends. It is very interesting how each bar, even amongst common owned bars, has its own personality and most of the girls seem to be from the same mold. It's possible, but I'm skeptical.

I didn't say that none of the girls had boyfriends. Some do. However, the vast majority of the guys live back in the village and think his girlfriend/wife is working in a restaurant or something. There are also some boyfriends who know their girlfriend works in the bar and stay with her. But the vast majority of the girls are without any man, Thai or Farang, in their life.

As an example, more typical than not, of a girl who does have a boyfriend in Nana. One of the guys who prepares food at the entrance to Nana has a wife who dances in one of the bars. He sees her walk out with customers and doesn't like it. He has never inserted himself into her customer affairs. I imagine he might if he saw some guy hitting her, but that has never happened.

He doesn't like it but she won't stop. She caught him with another girl earlier in their relationship and has never gotten over it. He would leave her or she would leave him but they love each other. They met while both were working in Nana so maybe the transition was easier for them.

About 7 months ago it was her birthday party and at midnight (I hate that endless Birthday song) she was surrounded by her friends, about 5 farang customers and the mamasans. Standing in the background were the husband and myself. None of her customers had any idea who he was. All her friends were looking sympatetically at him to see how he was. I finally bought him a beer and took him to Thermae to get drunk.

They returned to their village about 4 months ago to finsish building the house on the land they bought with her earnings. Two weeks ago they returned to BKK. She's now fat and he's skinny. She's going with men again and he's BBQing food 6 feet from where she exits with her customers. I wouldn't want to change places with either of them. But, they've made a life for themselves.

And to follow up on a couple earlier posts I agree that some Thai men have had their hearts broken by Thai women.I was talking about the women because that was the subject. There is no doubt that the landscape of BKK is littered with the raomantic carnage of both men and women, Thai and Farnag.

In fact I have a good friend, my former quasi-brother in law who is an honest hard working non-drinking man who comes to BKK to work on the remodeling jobs in Nana. His wife, and he still doesn't believe it, works in one of the bars and treats him terrible. She is really a hard hearted and selfish bitch who goes with customers as often as she can find somebody to bar fine somebody who is ugly, stupid and with no English.

She was bar fined by a customer recently for 10 days and, during that time, went home and drained their savings account. When he was told about this he was so in love with her that he wouldn't stop it. She came back, she always does, and this poor guy is so in love that he doesn't know what to do. Even if he could get up the nerve to throw her out or leave her he's afraid she'd take their two children....My guess is he has nothing to worry about The bitch would rather eat rat poison than take care of the kids. Did I mention I'm not fond of her?

So, my point is that there isn't a typical bar girl any more than there is a typical customer. There aren't a lot of boyfriends lurking in the background. Some of the girls are nice and some of them are not. They all are individuals with their own quirks.

I posted because I was getting tired of the picture that was being painted of them as two dimensional cartoon images, uniformly hard hearted and cold with malevolent boyfriends lurking in the background.

I hope you all don't get too pissed at my anecdotal stories. It's the best way I can think of to paint them as human beings trying to get along in a complicated life, the same as all of us. A million stories in the smoggy city.

quote:

Originally posted by nepfan:

... Touluse LaTrec hung out at the Moulin Rouge...I hang out at Nana. I no longer go to Nana for the sex. I go there to watch the nightly drama unfold..

Pretentious? Moi?

Sorry nepfan, had to pull you up on that. You were getting carried away there

wink.gif" border="0

nepfan,

that post touched a nerve with me.

i have several heartbroken guys in my wife's family who don't understand the world anymore, after their wifes left them for the lure of the big city, the plentyful life. the guys stayed with us until we were sure that they won't commit suicide, or make another attempt.

some of the women were outright bitches, some just foolish, listening too much to sisters/cousins already in the business.

keep these postings up, i like them very much.

I go with Long Gun. In my wife village, there are also lost of changes over the last 10 years. Yes, as every village, there are the day-to-day issues like husband screwing around, wife running away: everybody knows the stories. But despite this, the majority is hard working and once the works in the fields are done, having a drink and watching Thai boxing on the Sunday afternoon. What the heck is wrong with this?

Occasionally, their will be an party involving the whole village complete lots of foods and drinks throughout the day and in the evening their will be a Moo Lam band, so get drunk with the boys and have some sanuk. laugh.gif" border="0

When I go out for an evening I only take as much money as I want to spend. Makes for fewer surprizes and dissappointments. But it take much to excite me.

Of course I'm sure this has been said before.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by nepfan:

... Touluse LaTrec hung out at the Moulin Rouge...I hang out at Nana. I no longer go to Nana for the sex. I go there to watch the nightly drama unfold..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

Pretentious? Moi?

Sorry nepfan, had to pull you up on that. You were getting carried away there

wink.gif" border="0

Thanks bibblies, sometimes I get carried away. There are emough Khun Krung Theps out there already.

However, the only difference between Touluse Latrec and myself is that he was more talented, shorter, fluent in French, smarter and could grow a great beard. I, on the hand, get to go to Nana every night. So, all things being equal........And there really is a drama unfolding nightly, better than anything on UBC.

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Dan

Can you edit this, I can't tell which side you're on! You've seen guys beating up their girlfriends but none of the girls had boyfriends?

Long Gun,

Sorry, can't edit this. You failed to notice that I never mentioned that the girls who I witnessed being beat by their boyfriends/husbands were bargirls. As to what side I'm on, I'm only of the belief that this is mostly myth (that all the girls have b/f's) due to what I have seen in my short time here.

Archived