Being an asian male from Europe in LOS

drogon

Greetings all

Being about to go back to Thailand reminds me of something

(the only thing) that makes me feel uncomfortable when in Thailand and only in the nightlife/naughty scene.

I make it short: I am korean born and adopted by a western couple.

When in LOS, I felt quite a few times, when in farangs oriented nightilfe areas, that some farangs did not "welcomed" the fact I was there, more than certainly thinking I am japanese or korean.

On the other hand, when with thai people I am mistaken with japanese and korean.......

Is it possible to be a total alien in thailand?

Just my thoughts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I had a friend who was a Hawaiian whose father was Hawaiian/Cocasian and his mother was a full-blood Polynesian. He loved the night life in BKK and he said that looking Asian gave him a lot of advantage such as the women seemed to charged him cheaper, nicer to him and so on.

Perhaps, these establishment segregate Asian customers from the "farang" looking ones?

Gentlemen, please tell us, do you find the night life establishments segregated by the race of the clients? ::

Jasmine

Hi!

Gentlemen, please tell us, do you find the night life establishments segregated by the race of the clients?

Absolutely, when started going to Thailand ladies that wen't with Arabs would not go with westerners and vice versa.

regards

ALHOLK

Quite a number of nightlife establishments are race oriented. Notorious being Japanese.

As for Farangs being unfriendly... Screw'm. I can't think of a Farang only nightlife establishment per se. Nana, Soi Cowboy etc... are geared towards farangs, but not solely. These places are a lot more egalitarian than some of the Japanese and Thai only places.

I wouldn't be concerned about farangs at all (except for drunken soccer hooligans).

<<burp>>

Hey Drogon,

there are plenty of Asian people from various countries... Chinese American, etc etc. You are really NOT alone.

fuck the racist assholes who can not see you for who you are.

do not think about it too much, please.

yes, some places are filled with japanese, and you may get confused with being one of them... yes, some farang are not happy that the Japanese or Taiwanese drive up the prices...

but in the end, in the eyes of bar girls, we are all red, purple, or silver. (the colors of Thai money)

and yeah, avoid those hooligans!

Peace!

Looking asian is a double edged sword... I was in Bangkok for the last week and a half. I'm from the US, with Chinese parents.

Almost any asian looking person will be greeted in Japanese... at Nana Plaza, something like "Anata... ohayo dozo... iraimasu.. or however you spell it"

At Rainbow 2... the starting price I was quoted for a short time was 3000 baht!!! I was able to s bargain down to 1500 for ST... but I coudn't get any ladies to break the 3000 LT barrier... but alas there is always Nana disco :)

I speak a fair amount of Thai, since I've been to BKK/Pty about 10 times, so the girls seemed shocked when I bust out with the pasathai and say that I'm American with no money.

The good side of looking Japanese... the hottest girls at Rainbow will approach you, but I like to sit back and choose. Last week my main play was to immediately buy one drink for the server, just to get an extra glass on the table. It only costs a few bucks, and buys me a lot of time to look.

[color:"blue"]Gee, jas, I am a white guy, and here I wonder how cheaper, nicer can they get? Always sounded cheap and nice to me!

[/color]

Cheap for YOU may be expensive for others mon ami :)

Well, you saw the post of Si-sa-ket-girl, didn't you some thought "free" may be expensive. ::And some thought "fair" price is cheap, sounds like your purchasing power is in to play. ::

By the way, this guy just thought they charged him less, I won't be able to tell for I have no idea what prices you guys pay or willing to pay. :(

Jasmine

About prices:

- when with "GTG" so non P4P girls, It is far less expensive and rewarding than with Tg or BG, my problem (not only in Thailand but wherever I am) is that I seldom have the time to "flirt".....

- with TG/BG I am always mistaken for a japanese/korean so quoted "mad" prices....

About the feeling:

- regular GTG seem to appreciate the fact I am asian westernized but still correctly educated and polite

- TG/BG: if you treat them well then they will usually treat you equally in return knowing that you pay them so you are the customer.......

In fact my point is that I am an alien (sometimes) wherever I go.

::

In Europe I am sometimes mistaken for an asian tourist, same thing in the US where I feel it more, in the rest of the world too, and when in Asia I am always spotted for something else.

I feel that one day in thailand I will be nicknamed something like: "the gentle alien" or whatever else

:beer:

Archived