Being an asian male from Europe in LOS

drogon

" Is it possible to be a total alien in thailand?"

Hell yes! and not only in Thailand, but it has lots of charms U're not unaware of to compensate and even aliens can feel OK. ::

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"but in the end, in the eyes of bar girls, we are all red, purple, or silver. (the colors of Thai money) "

I loved that one ! But it's (un?)fortunately more complicated

"I do not worry to much, thanks"

Hehe! Our fav Maserati aficionado just couldn't miss the chance to pick at our belgium brothers ::

"could you tell me who is the bastard who "exported" the term french fries???"

Weriz di Bugger ?? BTW It seems american heard U recently

:doah:

"Never found real fries except in a restaurant in New York and in a belgian restaurant in tokyo)"

Was ist aber das?? "real french fries" ?? uh?? Thought it was sliced potatoes thrown in boiled oil, the way we do them in Spain. But we don't wanna hurt nos amis wallons so never kicked a fuss.

Random, satt from great home made paella today :up

[color:"red"] In fact my point is that I am an alien (sometimes) wherever I go.

[/color]

I share your feelings my dear. I have been mistaken for a Hawaiian, Japanese, American Indian, never though that I am a Thai. :) Even in Hawaii, I am still a Hawaiian.

Jasmine

[color:"blue"] some were curious about certain stereotypes being true or not...hehehe...which is a different kind of pressure when you drop your boxer shorts TRUST ME!! haha

[/color]

:o ::CS, stay cool brother, no pressure at all methinks. :D

Jasmine

I have been mistaken for a Hawaiian, Japanese, American Indian, never though that I am a Thai. Even in Hawaii, I am still a Hawaiian.

Hi Jas,

Whilst I deplore the fact that some of us cant tell an Asian from a native American (!), I am not surprised that you may have been mistaken for a Japanese or a (Japanese) Hawaiian - the link between Asia and the Pacific has been in place for a long time. Although I still struggle to place some Asians purely on the basis of their appearance, I find that its the ethnic Chinese influence in the appearance of so many people throughout Asia that has me thinking 'Hmm, southern China or Thailand ?', but certainly never 'Cree or Navaho ?' ....

drogon,

"Is it possible to be a total alien in Thailand?" Unless your thai, born and raised in thailand, we are all aliens, regardless of where we come from and what race we are, period! Which makes it sort of even footing, good and bad, advantages and disadvantages for everyone.

Taking the timeout to learn the language, culture, customs and history. Being respectful and friendly. These are the things thats gets you alot "farther" in thailand regardless of race or physical apperance or where your from.

I'm mixed asian american, with a "nice tan". Always mistaken for thai. Sometimes the sharper girls say:"yippun" or"keng", I say: "mai jai, ben kuhn american, maa jaak hawaii kop".

It dosen't matter, i still get quoted 3000 for LT also(NEP go-gos). Looks like we like our stunners.

Anyway, don't worry about the farang "looks" at Cowboy or NEP. Mai bin lai & Sanook.

Chok dee,

HOKS

P.S. I'll be in Krung Thep July 27 to August 3, for business. Then to Pattaya for R&R and G&G. PM me if you want to meet for a beer & cheer.

HOKS

<< could you tell me who is the bastard who "exported" the term french fries??? >>

Who knows? Probably someone with a strange sense of humour. Supposedly they were called chips in the US until around 1900, when some customer at a resort in Saratoga, NY complained his chips were too thick. He returned them to the kitchen for that reason several times. The "chef" was a Mohawk Indian and finally blew his top. He cut the chips paper thin and fried them crisp. His creation became popular and the thin crisp things got known as Saratoga chips. Eventually, they were just called chips -- and still are in America.

So another name had to be come up with for what had formerly been chips. But French fries? Maybe somebody thought Belgium is part of France ... :neener:

HOKSIPKAU said:

Taking the timeout to learn the language, culture, customs and history. Being respectful and friendly. These are the things thats gets you alot "farther" in thailand regardless of race or physical apperance or where your from.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Archived