Sign language

I was wondering about differences in body language and particularly body movements that are considered to be rude by Thai people. I mean the sort of thing that could get you into trouble if you didn't know not to do, like showing someone the sole of your foot. I've heard that this is a dangerous thing to do. Something like the equivalent of giving someone a 'V' sign in the UK or the finger in the US.

And what about plain misunderstandings and different ways of signalling something? Like the hand sign for "come here" being a palms down finger wag or full arm wave rather than a crooked forefinger.

Then there's a click of the fingers when something is good here as opposed to a "I forgot" or a "darn it".

The only other one I know is when someone wants money it's a palm up finger wiggling action that looks to me like you're handling someone's undercarriage.

Anyone else know any more? Please enlighten me.

Hi,

Giving the 'thumbs up' signal (but with the thumb pointing downwards a bit more, like pressing on something), has a similar meaning to 'up yours', especially when adding the word 'poong'.

Not sure how serious this is though, I have the feeling it is usually more done jokingly than in ernest (sp?). I also get the feeling it is a more of a thing a little kid would do. In other words, the girls in the bars love it when you do it, especially when they know you are joking.

Making a vow here is done with just the first two fingers of the right hand, sometimes pressed against the same two fingers of the person you are making a vow to.

Making a promise is done with hooking pinky fingers with the person you are making a promise.

Sanuk!

Some things I do as a farang that drive my Thai wife crazy (mostly because they're bad luck or mai soopahp "impolite"):

Locking my hands behind my head.

Letting my feet touch each other when I've got my legs up on the sofa.

Sticking my feet up on my desk when I'm relaxing, even if they're not pointed at her.

Whistling in the house (not body language, I know).

Sitting lower than her, e.g. on the floor while she's in a chair.

Walking "like a buffalo" in the house, not light and gracefully like Thai people.

And a hundred more, most of which I can never remember which is why I'm always doing them. According to her, all of the above are MAI DI! crazy.gif" border="0

HongKongBoy,

Are you married to my wifes sister?

Whenever I am on the PC waiting for a file transfer or a download, I always relax by putting feet up on desk, hands hooked behind head and whistling.

The mia (god bless her) always gives me a vebal blasting, I can just about make out the mai dee and buk ha nee (bastard)

The only remarks made about Water Buffalo tend to apply to my mental state after a few too many heinekens, such as (in her best Thenglish)" Last Night khun mao mak, khun mai rue tham arai, ting tong mak, same same water buffalo" wink.gif" border="0

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mekong ]

I think all of us farangs with Thai wives must have married into the same family. Another thing I catch it for -- if I'm raiding the refrigerator and have my hands full, sometimes I'll close the fridge door with my foot. For some reason, that's worse than putting my feet up on the desk. And if I try to get her to lighten up just a bit, she'll say "you have a heart like a small fish!" Good thing these delightful ladies make up for it in other ways. smile.gif" border="0

So how do you give the "thumbs up" to somebody?

The "OK" sign, i.e. forefinger and thumb touching and making a circle, seems to mean "a little bit" here.

And what is so wrong about locking your hands behind your head?

Yes, I can relate. I am in the habit of closing the bottom drawer of my bedroom bureau with my foot, I guess I always have and never noticed it, that is until my wife became aghast at my behavior.

It's convenient, I've got lower back pains and I have no intention of bending down every time I want to close that drawer. Still, I do try to remember not to close it with my foot until she's out of the bedroom.

Also, when carrying packages, I enjoy closing the car door with my hip. I know, it's barbaric, isn't it? crazy.gif" border="0

Archived