Terrorist attacks in London

Guest baldrick

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We tried that with the IRA in the 70's, We interned any Irish man who sung rebel songs, we didnt get the "Players" we got the average working class Catholic with Nationalist tendancies, banged him up for 2 years after trashing his house and giving him a hiding, thus creating a whole generation of young volunteers who had seen their fathers and brothers beaten and humilated.

Didnt work then and with these fanaticals there is even less chance.

How can you compete with the dis-enfranchised British born muslim working part time at the kebab shop, who because he cant get laid, gets drawn in to waging Jihad with the promise of 28 virgins. The earnest young muslim of quite liberal aspirational parents, like Harold Lauder from the Stand or Carrie again by Stephen King they want to make their mark.

We are dealing with the outcast who is manipulated , whose anger and inadequacies are harnessed to truly deadly consequences.

STH

have to agree with spirit on this one, internment would be counter productive, an understandable instant reaction, but history bear it out that collective punishment is a piss poor counter-terrorism tactic

osama et al would love nothing more than to have every man, woman and child of a swarthy complexion and a strange name to be banged up, roughed up and demonised.

have to say ken livingstone gave a great speech

just my 2 cent

Guest lazyphil

Isn't it strange that Londoners used the Tube to hide and protect themselves from Nazi bombing raids :( and now, wel...............Ken L's speach was good.

Will anything work ?

I am not sure what the terrorist want,

probably get out of Saudi, Iraq. Isreal, etc

if we did that (not going to happen) would they be happy then ?

or would they want all of us to convert to Islam ?

Not sure how you win this one

OC

Its not as worthy or expensive as a peace summit in Iceland headed up by the the good and the great from the G8 countries talking peace by a log fire, but I believe stongly if you gave bored unemployed guys in Saudi, the Yeman and Paikstan 3000 US dollars a year and they had to spend that staying at the Nana Hotel and partying at the Cat House there would be little if no trouble.

Would cut down global terrorism by 95%. The remaining 5% would be sent to a remote South Seas Island along with the most obnoxious Israeli back packers to take part in a "Last Man standing " reality TV programme hosted by George Best and slum landlord Van Haugstraten...

STH

If hte terrorists wanted to achieve anything at all, I think they got the complete opposite. Upset and angry Westerners which not much understanding for thei goal, maybe they need a better marketeing startegy, but I doubt they care much for this.

Let's hope they don't have other objects soon.

LG, liked your post.

Not sure how you win this one

---------------------------------------

You can't prevent a few determined looneys to work single-mindedly for 6 months, at bombing innocents. What you can do is keep the pressure on them as an international terrorist group, keep and improve levels and technology of security and intelligence.

IMO, these guys have a hard time pulling one under what has been set up to defend the "homelands" since 9/11. we're dealing with a hydra with quite a few hundred heads here, and these guys do not need a chain of command they need to answer to, . It's exactly that, you can cut the head, the body will function, so the bad News is it ain't over yet, but maybe the good news is it happens so unfrequently.

LongGun, awesome post.

Now to add some great, even humorous, posts from other corners of the Internet and well worth sharing...

I'm seeing a guy who was blown off his feet by a bus going up, but basically he's okay and being interviewed. And, shock allowed, he's pretty much laughing it off. Another interview, a woman who was on the tube, just the same response but maybe a little more detailed.

I love the UK sometimes, I really do. What happened is horrible, I don't diminish it and I hope those responsible are suitably punished, possibly with chainsaws ... but if they wanted terror well, they probably shouldn't have gone to London. Not because Londoners are particularly braver than anyone else (although they might be, have you seen the prices there?) but because they've walked through a helluva lot worse than that.

Nice try, no cigar.

+++++++

It'll be easy to find any terrorists; everyone else will have just said "Bugger it. I'm off to the pub."

++++++

When the news reporter said "Shopkeepers are opening their doors bringing out blankets and cups of tea" I just smiled. It's like yes. That's Britain for you. Tea solves everything. You're a bit cold? Tea. Your boyfriend has just left you? Tea. You've just been told you've got cancer? Tea. Coordinated terrorist attack on the transport network bringing the city to a grinding halt? TEA DAMMIT! And if it's really serious, they may bring out the coffee. The Americans have their alert raised to red, we break out the coffee. That's for situations more serious than this of course. Like another England penalty shoot-out.

My personal favorite...

To quote an old Londoner who lived through the blitz and got caught up in the Canary Wharf explosion: "I've been blown up by a better class of bastard than this!"

And a very measured reaction from the Lord Mayor of London, Ken Livingston...

I know that you personally do not fear to give your own life in exchange for taking others. That is why you are so dangerous. But I know you do fear that you will fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society. I can show you why you will fail. In the days that follow, look at our airports, look at our seaports, and look at our railway stations. And even after your cowardly attack you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world will arrive in London to become Londoners, to fulfill their dreams and achieve their potential. They choose to come to London as many have come before because they come to be free. They come to live the life they choose, they come to be themselves. They flee you, because you tell them how they should live.

I have seen this several times today, but it's good:

What the fuck do you think you're doing? This is London. We've dealt with your sort before. You don't try and pull this on us. Do you have any idea how many times our city has been attacked? Whatever you're trying to do, it's not going to work. All you've done is end some of our lives, and ruin some more. How is that going to help you? You don't get rewarded for this kind of crap. And if, as your MO indicates, you're an al-Qaeda group, then you're out of your tiny minds. Because if this is a message to Tony Blair, we've got news for you. We don't much like our government ourselves, or what they do in our name. But, listen very clearly. We'll deal with that ourselves. We're London, and we've got our own way of doing things, and it doesn't involve tossing bombs around where innocent people are going about their lives. And that's because we're better than you. Everyone is better than you. Our city works. We rather like it. And we're going to go about our lives. We're going to take care of the lives you ruined. And then we're going to work. And we're going down the pub. So you can pack up your bombs, put them in your arseholes, and get the fuck out of our city.

Cheers to old Blighty. They have a very healthy attitude. Too bad us Yanks (well, some of us anyway) do not. I was watching Sky News last night and the Brits involved were typically stiff-upper-lipped -- one cute young gal, with blood spewing from her leg and soot on her face, just said "Oh, that. It's really nothing. I suppose I'll have it looked after, but I am OK!" But the female American tourist they interviewed was almost hysterical and spewing hate and wanted to round them (implying all Muslims) up and bomb them all. Lovely...just what the world needs: more violence. Yea to the Brits! Do not let the bastards win as they already have in America!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

SD

Archived