Alternative to hospital pharmacies

rickfarang

I've noticed that perscription drugs perscribed at Bumrungrad Hospital, and the private hosptial in Nong Khai are pretty expensive, perhaps more than I am used to paying for similar drugs at pharmacies back in the U.S. ::

Are many of these available at some of the independent pharmacies or chains (Watson's, etc.) around the country, or do the hospitals have a monopoly as the only legitimate source of this sort of thing? :: ::

I am wondering about oral antibiotics (which used to be over-the-counter -still that way?), sleeping pills (Halcion), and various diabetes oral medications (Glyburide, etc.)

Monopoly ? from what I understand that is exactly what has happened since Toxin quietly bought up the hospital pharmacies and cracked down on over the counter medication sales. As far as antibiotics go, I believe the common ones are still readily available. Halcion and sleeping pills ? forget it. No idea about diabetes medications.

ST

Ask at a bigger local pharmacy. I am sure most everything is still available EXCEPT scheduled narcotics. Worst they can say is "no".

I can give you a few ideas for places to go Friday if you are there.

Cheers,

SD

Thank you for the tips. I plan to be at Gulliver's Friday night.

The story of the family of a person with unusual wealth and influence buying up the pharmacies, and this left me wondering whether there truly is a monopoly.

I guess the follow-up quesion is whether I can get a prescription to take away from the hospital. Golly, doctors certainly must be able to write presecriptions for strong stuff that doesn't need to be filled by hospital pharmacies, musn't they?

Thank you for the tips. I plan to be at Gulliver's Friday night.

The story of the family of a person with unusual wealth and influence buying up the pharmacies, and this left me wondering whether there truly is a monopoly.

I guess suadum has a point: A pharmacist would know what the deal is; best to ask him/her.

Thanks again for the tips and helping me get my thoughts straight.

?I guess the follow-up quesion is whether I can get a prescription to take away from the hospital. Golly, doctors certainly must be able to write presecriptions for strong stuff that doesn't need to be filled by hospital pharmacies, musn't they??

Being from the U$A you would think so, but I?ve inquired about certain medications at various BKK pharmacies and prescription or no prescription - many medications are only dispensed at hospital pharmacies, and this was BEFORE Toxin and his crackdown and his hospital RX monopoly.

ST

It seems to me that this is how Bumrungrad makes money. I just visited Bumrungrad for Medical Certificate for Visa and my experience was the same as yours. 400 baht, quick, efficient service, friendly doctor who spoke English well - typical Bumrungrad experience.

But, everytime I have had to get meds at Bumrungrad it seems the opposite of a bargain. Very, very expensive.

I have visited Cambodia a few times and have loaded up on drugs. Seems like you can buy just about anything over the counter and most drugs are incredibly inexpensive. The only exception was a med that I take which is still patent protected from the US (not sure if patent protected is the right terminology) - in this case, the price in Cambodia was in line with the price in US (and anyplace else I would expect). Anyway, all other drugs are much less expensive then any place else.

Of course, if you visit Bumrungrad because of a particular problem and the Doc prescribes something, nothing you can do. But, if there is a med that you take regularly or occasionally, you can pick up a years supply for very little in Cambodia. And, have an enjoyable diversion from BKK at the same time.

Antibiotics and meds for diabetes are available at regular (non-hospital) pharmacies. It probably depends upon the medication; but, for antibiotics I believe Lotus may have the best prices. However, at neighborhood pharmacies I've found that the prices are sometimes negotiable ... translated that means if you have a Thai purchase them for you, you'd probably get a better price.

Pain mediations containing opiates, as well as other scheduled medications (e.g. diazepam) are only available at hospital pharmacies; and they do seem overpriced.

Archived