The end of sanuk?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious as to what - if any - stories their are about this in the local Thai languange press.

Are any politicians making any noises, even if only of the upholding Thai honour type? I would have thought that SOMEONE would be claiming responsibility for cleaning up Dodge.

If this applies to ALL Nightlife (clubs and discos) closing at 1am - then I can't see "normal" tourists being happy to travel half way around the world to have an early night!

quote:

Originally posted by abbot thong:

I thought one of the govt's aims is to create entertainment areas which would stay open till 5am, Patpong being one of them???

That is actually pending legislation and you would have to be able to see inside the less-than-transparent workings of Thai government to know if that idea is now dead or not.

<<It's easy enough to judge others and step up high and proud and say 'I didn't come here for the sex!, I'm not a SEX TOURIST!!'>>

I dont get what you are trying to say here, does it worry you if someone came here for other reasons and then was lured by the sex scene??

<<Many people seem to assume too much knowledge about what the "sex scene" in Thailand is all about.>>

Stick certainly doesn't assume too much, in fact he is one of the more humble people in real life who I know in this city, especially when it comes to 'what he knows'.

As for what you note in someones personal website, what does that have to do with anyone else?? Its one thing to throw constructive criticism towards Stick about his site, one 'non expert' to another, but your post comes across as flamatory aswell, hardly the best way to get your point across, which is still by the way not crystal clear.

Stick doesnt have to justify himself whether he thinks the sex scene is a good thing or not, neither does Khun Sanuk for that matter, a man who runs a sex forum and sex site yet is married and leads what I can see is a basically quiet and humble life here.

"come to Thailand and enjoy the pleasures of the women of the night it simply doesn't feel like prostitution.. It is more akin to renting a girlfriend for the night - and that is what makes it so special, enthralling and for some, downright addictive."

This to me is a statement of what he has found, i dont see the correlation to moral dilemna here, I and many others have found the experience to be like this, it doesnt mean I will use this thought to justify any moral dilemna I might have. The people I have met who appear to have morality issues dont try to justify it this simply when they eventually succumb.

"prefer not to talk about price before hand because as much as anything, it actually makes it more like a business transaction and less like an intimate experience."

Where is the moral dilemna here?? The man wants to keep the illusion of a GF experience then so be it, that is HIS CHOICE, one he is passing on to others, its purely up to them whether they take any notice of what he has written or not. I think you will find many many of the posters in here would agree that talking about money can ruin the atmosphere you are trying to create.

Just another humble opinion laugh.gif" border="0

I keep hearing about this zoning idea that some areas are allowed to open later than others. I asume the later opening zones will be in the center of Bangkok.

In any capital city the night life is in the center of town.

Even in London with the Briish 11 o clock closing in pubs it's easy to find a night club that opens almost all night.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Ashman ]

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Ashman ]

I dont get what you are trying to say here, does it worry you if someone came here for other reasons and then was lured by the sex scene??

I'm sorry that you didn't get what I was trying to say but probably my fault. I was simply stating that some people are a bit righteous over the fact that they came to this country with different motivations other than to shag thai girls and party, when of course they indulge. I never said that anyone's reasons or motivations for coming to Thailand worried me. That just sounds plain stupid in light of this argument.

As for what you note in someones personal website, what does that have to do with anyone else?? Its one thing to throw constructive criticism towards Stick about his site, one 'non expert' to another, but your post comes across as flamatory aswell, hardly the best way to get your point across, which is still by the way not crystal clear.

My comments were not intended as constructive critisism. The website quotes I used purely as a reference to illustrate (apparantly not so well) that there was an amount of hypocrisy in some of stickman's quotes concerning the 'sanuk' scene. If it came accross as flamatory so be it, not my direct intention. Was looking for a reaction though. As for getting (or trying) to get my point across I will do as I see fit. In this instance it was to use the content of his site in contrast to his forum quotes.

Stick doesnt have to justify himself whether he thinks the sex scene is a good thing or not, neither does Khun Sanuk for that matter, a man who runs a sex forum and sex site yet is married and leads what I can see is a basically quiet and humble life here.

Firtly, I never mentioned Khun Sanuk, and secondly I never asked Stickman to justify anything. How can you ask someone to justify something if you are not sure exactly where they stand? That is all I asked. Where do you stand? Not a big question.

======================================

Just another idea on what’s behind the clampdown.

We are now only one year away from Supachai Panitchpakdi becoming Secretary General of the World Trade Organisation. I am sure that those at the top will want to clean up certain aspects of Thai life before he takes office. It will be a gift to all those protesters – Thailand, land of prostitution, drug dealing and cheap labour leading the WTO.

Just an Idea

Roger

<<Where do you stand? Not a big question.>>

Where do I stand? I have no problem with the sex scene, I have no problem not indulging in it for the last year, I have no problem with the fact that although I came here to meet someone I had known for a long time, I already knew alot about the sex scene, had researched it and was posting on and reading boards almost a year beforehand. Maybe taking notice of all the posts from people like Stick prepared me well, as although I indulged briefly when I first came here I never allowed myself to become attached to any working girl period.

I think the sex scene can be of great benefit if you are courting a normal educated girl here, it negates the need to jump in her pants straight away, retains her dignity if things dont work out initially, etc etc.

As for where I stand regarding others sites and info, to each his own, I am no authority to tell Stick or anyone else his site is contradictory, hypocritical or just plain crap, and neither is anyone else. I read, I make my own judgements.

A newbie reading sticks site has a fair chance of learning enough to protect himself, same as if he read and contributed to this forum, regardless of whether Stick might contradict some of his site postings or not.

As for the example of Khun Sanuk, thats what it was, an example, you didnt have to mention it for it to be a valid comparison or not smile.gif" border="0

peace..

Regarding loss of tourist dollars. I am now in Thailand for an extended period of time and was originally planning to spend a few days in Cambodia to renew my Visa.

I am now planning to spend MUCH more time (and MUCH more of my tourist dollars)in Cambodia.

Archived