The end of sanuk?

Flyonzewall,

The point being is that some people will refuse to see that they aren't the only people with experience in this country. There are many. There are no secrets, but there is a lot to be learned from each and all. I guess, my main point from my entire previous post is to not preach a sermon as such but discuss ideas.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btm,

good post!

you hit a sensitive point there, because i would say that the majority of the younger women entering the trade in the western oriented prostitution are exactly the ones you desribed there, flashy lifestyle and so on.

hope you don't get to much flame.

dan,

when i see sticky's website i see him often admitting where he was wrong before.

when i speak with him person he always listens to different opinions, changes his when someone makes valid points.

it is not his problem when some people treat him as the sole authority on everything, i see it as the problem of these people.

i think they deserve much more to be attacked for their stupidity.

but that's only my opinion, influenced by thinking that he is a very nice guy.

In a country that has always put appearances before substance, there is no doubt that Overseas Thai businessmen and politicos are embarassed by questions regarding sex tourism, drugs etc. A new govt is just the vehicle to show some change in attitude. A lot more aggressive this year as it coincides with the annual August end promotions list for the Thai police. All venues change and this may well be the start of a newly designated sex capital. Perhaps Costa Rica, Cambodia or even some have said Fiji. The scene won't end, just sublimate into a different appearance, much to the delight of the governing party.

Elation:

"As for expats, they are living in Thailand because its cheap...not necessarily all that great a contribution to the economy."

That's a nice generalisation also....

As for english teachers, I must agree.... (LOL)

But many expats that live here and work here are also doing useful things... The Thai immigration office does not supply work-permits for people who help out with the rice harvest. There are some standards for that, that are made with the 'thought' that the expat must make a contribution to the countries economy in fields where there is not enough knowledge/availability of Thai nationals doing the job.

I don't know if i'm qualified, maybe slipped through the scrutinising on the several work-permit's i had by now, but i have contributed to the Thai economy for sure.

In the three years I am here, i've probably payed double the taxes any of my collegua workers did in his whole career. Besides that i've spend several milions of bath to boost local productivity on houses (yes, multiple), cars and water buffalo's so i consider myself as contributing to the Thai economy. (Wonder whether the Thai's will think like that, but who cares? Gonna apply for a residence permit anyway!)

Open message to Mr./Dr.Thaksin, PM:

Crack down on corruption in your country (preferably starting with yourself first!), then you may have a chance to make Thailand a prosperous country; and when that is achieved, most of the prostitutes will disappear by themselves. Everything else is a load of crap, your honour!

I Rak Thai, SB.

In relation to the sex industry putting off tourists. I find it surprising that people would be put off by the sex industry in Bangkok when they are not put off by the sex industries in Amsterdam or Las Vegas. There might be some single men who are afraid of being considered sex tourists so stay away for that reason but I've never met any.

After a documentary on child prostitution in the early nineties I knew one Irish girl who said "fuck anybody who goes there" but within a week she'd changed her mind.

The only person I ever met who said he would never go to Thailand was a guy on a market stall that I buy rugs from. He said "I'd never go there because I can't stand the cruelty to animals." I think he'd got Thailand confused with Taiwan but maybe he'd seen something about snake wrestling or crocodile baiting. Who can tell ?

A rather heated discussion about the future of the sanuk scene and what it means (or doesn't mean) to Thailand, BUT what I what to know is this: What happened at today's meeting at the Lumpini police station?

This debate over the future of sanuk has been largely fueled by speculation over its economic importance to Thailand and how Thai's perceive it. Interesting. There seem to be two schools of thought, with a shading of grades in between, consisting of the (a) this sort of crack down happens every year and will blow over in a couple of weeks school of thought, which is probably best exemplified by Nepfan, and (B) the the end is nigh school of thought exemplied by many others. (Sorry, I am too lazy to go through all of the prior posts to pick someone as an example for the the b school.)

It seems to me that there is an easy test. If Nepfan is right, and I am rooting for his 'school' for the simple reason that I (and many others, I am sure) enjoy visiting every year or so to enjoy the Sanuk, we should have an answer soon. I am sure I speak for many of the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of silent lurkers on this board living outside of Thailand when I ask:

What the Hell Happened at Lumpini Police Station Today???

quote:

Originally posted by Ranger:

having a meeting tomorrow afternoon and would be told the "way it was going to be" by the police officials.

Ranger

True indeed. Meeting at 5 PM today at Lumphini Police headquarterss for ALL Bars in Lumphini jurisdiction. Not a clue given as to what will be said.

Don't know for a fact but assume similiar meetings scheduled for Thong Lo (Cowboy) and Bang Rak (Pat Pong) police jurisdictions. Finally looks like this is all coming to a point.

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

Archived