EU ATM cards / Visa withdrawel limits & fees?

chilli13

Realising banks like to charge various fees depending how one spends money outside the euro zone I'd like to collect a bit of experience from the common board users on spending money from europe in asia region(LOS).

Firstly did anyone successfully withdraw over the counter cash from an ec/plus/cirrus ATM card & if yes what was largest amount perhaps more than 10/20/30/40k THB & did the bank charge a fee?

Secondly using ATMs(since theres different fees for those 2 modes of withdrawel in many german banks!) I think we previously established it depends on bank, available notes etc., but in general is there a Thai limit per withdrawel like 20/30/40k?

More precisely if any has specific experiences with German banks, netbank.de, citibank.de, comdirect.de & dkb.de feedback welcome ;)

Currency conversion fees vary from 0-3%.

Bank/ATM withdrawel fees vary from 1-3%/eur1.28-5.11

Cheers :beer:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've occasionally used a foreign card. With the foreign card in Thailand, I've never experienced daily limits -- though the most I've withdrawn on the spot was 70 000 baht. I then had to take it out in 40 000 + 30 000 baht as there was some sort of limit on the machine in itself.

Never tried over the counter withdrawal & never thought of any fees (although I'm sure there are some by the bank that issues your card).

thanks for the feedback, so 40k seems to be the ATM per transaction limit so far ;)

obviously what I do know is the card issuer fee for any given transaction according to their price list i.e. bank withdrawel over the counter outside EU, but what I don't have much experience is the actual bank in LOS charge or lack of?

by the way the card(s) are planned for the GF as sorta better alternative to prolonged overseas transfers... :cover:

@ ib

you can sometimes use a German ec-card to get money at the counter of Kasikorn-Bank (try Soi 3). You will need good luck, but it should be possible. About 10 000 B. Other banks don't accept German ATMcards at the counter.

Cheapest way to get money from Germany to LOS is citibank's ATM, but they have only one ATM in Thailand. Using citibank you save about 1 Euro per withdrawal.

The other banks' ATM cards are a bit more expensive, Sparda is one of the cheaper ones. The differences are not much (less than 100 B per withdrawal).

Generally German ATMs charge a flat fee per withdrawal, so I always withdraw 20 000 or 25 000 B. If your GF withdraws 500 B, fees are about 250 B, not really a good deal.

Some credit cards can be used to withdraw small amounts for a proportionately small fee (ADAC credit card, HUK credit card or BHW credit card) - but who wants to give his TGF a credit card?

You can open 2 accounts at Bangkok Bank or SCB, give her the ATM card for one of the accounts and deposit 100 000 in the other account. Then use internet banking (free) to transfer small amounts of money into "her" account. You can use a recurring transfer (Dauerauftrag), like 1000 B every week.

Archived