True ADSL problem?

Unfortunately your specs are well within operating boundaries.

Found this:

"Just like it says, Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) is the ratio between the level of the wanted signal, and the level of the unwanted noise. The "SNR Margin" listed by the modem is the amount of "headroom" you've got before noise becomes a problem on your line. Basically the difference between the SNR you've got, and the SNR you need to maintain a decent connection. The higher the number the better in this case.

Attenuation is the amount of signal level that is lost between the exchange and your modem (for downstream, opposite for upstream). In this case the lower the number the better. While attenuation is mainly due to cable length, it may also indicate a bad joint in the cable, or cable affected by moisture penetration, or bad equipment connected to the phone line, etc.

If you are trying to diagnose poor SNR margin or high attenuation, the first thing to do is unplug ALL the other phone devices in the house, and take your modem to the first point of entry of the line into the house and plug it in with a short cable that's in good condition. I have seen upwards of 6dB of loss caused by bad house wiring (and caused that much myself by jury-rigging bad extension leads). You know how it goes, nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.

Noise Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)

Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems

7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions

11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems

20dB-28dB is excellent

29dB or above is outstanding

Line Attenuation

Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.

20dB and below is outstanding

20dB-30dB is excellent

30dB-40dB is very good

40dB-50dB is good

50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues

60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues"

The only thing I can think of is to try the beta firmware that's out there for your router :( as it doesn't look like it's the line.

Also, when you're back, we can swap routers and see if mine works at your place.

<<burp>>

<<burp>>

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived