True ADSL problem?

I believe what you say.

MOST people I know who have True complain about the service, reliability, and throughput. I've tested a couple of connections by going on to a couple unsecured neighbors' True connections. Just as a test, at both peak and non-peak. At 4am, great throughput. At 5 pm incredibly bad. Dial-up would be faster.

But I have heard from a couple of people who have had great success with True. These folks had problems initially, but eventually got up and going. Seems similar to your case.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first issue with True. And it is not True. It is the router. MRU=1492.

Here is a snippet from the log:

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:50:25 - LCP down.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:50:28 - Initialize LCP.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:51:43 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:51:43 - CHAP authentication success

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:51:55 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:13 - LCP down.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:16 - Initialize LCP.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:17 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:17 - CHAP authentication success

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:47 - LCP down.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:52:49 - Initialize LCP.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:43:27 - Router start up

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:53:50 - Initialize LCP.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:54:05 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:54:05 - CHAP authentication success

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:54:35 - LCP down.

Tue, 2005-08-30 15:54:38 - Initialize LCP.

I would gladly take you up on the offer to take the router home to diagnose. Let me know where to meet up? I'll at least owe you a dinner... Maybe meet up at Ad Makers? Or somewhere else? Give a ring or a PM.

Cheers,

SD

Suadum,

since I recommended to use a router I feel kind of responsible.

I searched TRUEs website but could not find any help on how to set up routers with TRUE ADSL. Have you tried to get help from TRUE, e.g. the 'Report Service outage form'?

What's your routers model?

LCP is used to negotiate parameters between your router and the ISP.

This is more to everyone: when a provider restricts the internet connection to one computer only, can they detect that you're using a router (and a network with several computers)? My last info was that they can't. Got it from a service tech whom I told that i was using the connection with router/network even though the contract was restricted to one computer. He said something like 'Nah, no problem, we can't detect it'.

carlton

Guys, hope I'm not hi jacking this.

Just got ADSL today through TT&T without a router, am just using my laptop.

Am paying for 256 but just get 61 with a speedtest. Would a router make a difference and what does a router do at all? As far as I understood, it only is necessary if you have more machines hooked up?

True is not very reliable, had an outage 2 wks ago of abt 24 hrs !

Also numerous times connection dropped or very slow.

I use it shared with other people in my apt building but that should not be an issue.

True also plays around with proxy servers in between, they had a proxy in Singapore lately but changed it back to TH.

So not very impressed with them, not stable enough if you need it daily for doing yr work like me !

I might condsider an Edge card and service from DTAC, its 1000 B at month by using 3G wirelsss network.

Cheers

Tilac

I would doubt that they can detect it. I've been using multiple PCs through one router for a long time.

I'll check with one of Thailand's ISP techies to find out if they can.

Re Suadum's post... I don't see why his log proves it's a router problem. I've had a very similar problem and it turned out it was a problem with the infrastructure, ie, telecom's line. I think that was your point as well.

It seems that ADSL lines are frequently unstable and need to be reset by the telecom. Stories I've heard....

That said, there are some wireless routers out there that are notorious for frequent reboots. I've heard of my router model having a lot of reboots if one of the capacitors is defective. Apparently there was a bad batch of capacitors from the factory.

This isn't directed to you, as you probably already know of this site, but others might find it useful:

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Hi,

did the connection work via the router before or did it fail to work from the start?

Did you use the setup wizard to configure the router?

If you did, connection protocol was PPPoE, right?

What firmware version is the router running on? There is a new firmware version 2.10.22 available, came out in june, looks like a major update, maybe a firmware update will help. Make sure you also download the new manual.

Then repeat steps in the manual chapter 3-9 to 3-14. Cross your fingers. Knock on wood. Pray to the gods of insane IT-techs.

Btw, I searched TRUEs website for a router setup manual. There's none.

And it's the MTU you may set in the router setup. 1492 is the value to choose unless your ISP tells different. It's not a big problem, you may check the correct MTU later when the connection is up and running. If the MTU is set too high then packets send to you will be split and due to the overhead with each packet the connection isn't used 100% efficient. No big deal.

MRU usually can't be changed, but if the max value should not be over 1460 for MRU (this I don't know, just read somewhere some time ago).

Hi,

you're right. A router is one (and probably the most convenient) way to connect several computers to one internet connection. DSL mostly, but there are also routers for other internet connections.

A router may or may not include a modem and may or may not include WLAN. Most have a hardware firewall to protect the local network against the internet (but don't control outbound traffic). The integrated switch allows communication within the local network and some routers have a printserver included to share a printer.

No, routers do not improve or decrease the speed of your internet connection.

You might check with speedtest site in your region and not halfway around the globe. Try this stie . I could not reach the one located in thailand.

Now with the spped you report I just guess your provider added too many users. You might try at a time when most people sleep, maybe you get full speed then. If not you might start and check parameters like MTU, but don't expect too much. I have not much experience with MTU but think an optimized MTU will give you 10% more speed at best. That is if the speed is not maximum already and the MTU was wrong.

Look at this site , halfway down you'll find some examples how to check MTU. Open a DOS box and type the ping commands. Note that due to overhead you have to add/subtract 28 all the time. For the usual MTU 1492 you have to ping with a value of 1464. So type 'ping xxx -f -l 1464' (with xxx being a website with good response) and if it comes back with 'fragmented' you have to lower the value to 1462 and check again. Do so until you come to a value that works. If this is e.g. 1450 you have to set MTU on your computer to 1478 (plus 28, right). How to do this I tell you if you need to. This is quite easy with a router and a little more complicated without. Note that MTU might be different when you connect your laptop to another DSL connection.

Archived