Paying a "bar" for a girl to quit aka "steady"

NokTang

shygye said:

FM,

Some BGs work the afternoon at Big Dogs and the evening at Carousel. It would take 2 barfines for LT if you get the BG at Big Dogs. :doah:

I have also heard the concept that she works two shifts at the same bar...some believe two barfines are owed at that point in the sales pitch! Not me....

cheers.

Nok the Kook

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John_Betong said:

The gogos are privately owned businesses that are trading to make a profit. They are not charities. The gogos invest a vast amount of money, employ, train and expect a return on their investment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. Not so fast! It is not always about profits. Think HOBBY or about the other motivations to be in the booze and whore business...And again, to suggest they "employ" is incorrect. They hire yes, but the girls are not EMPLOYED in any sense beyond a casual laborer day to day whom can be dismissed, fucked over, etc. at the whim of some drunken farang or pissed off mamasan. No right, no nothing....

Huh? The girls are employed by the bar. The same in the west. If i want to fire my employee then its goodbye for them. Not sure where U R coming from. ::

Return on investment..again, context. Who in their RIGHT MIND makes an investment in a GoGo bar with his/her IRA or other retirement monies? Think about the money my friend, follow it if you wish....

What does an IRA or retirement monies have to do with the price of bananas today? Bars want a return on their money. Its not a scam to have different BFs depending on the time. If I own a gogo i'll set the fucking BF as i see fit and if the market will bear it. I set my prices here in farangland as i see fit. Where is the scam??? Look up the word capitalism, its what makes the world go round. Me thinks there is a small subset of corporate employees who simply have no clue what it means to be in business for a profit so everything seems like a scam. Wake up.

BTW, I never realized that some bars cut the girl's pay if she does not return at a certain time so i'm glad you pointed that out.

If I have no deal with Manpower, then Manpower will NOT come to me for money.

Well yeah they do. If you hire the temporaqry you have to pay, usually its part of the girls salary that goes to the temp agency for a certain length of time. And the same holds true if you hire her permanenetly, its a contract obligation which makes it even more of a "scam" if you like to look at things that way.

Thats not to say that the bar buyout stuff is not a scam. If the girl has no intent on returning then no need to pay the bar and mamasan can kiss your white ass (or whatever color is your ass). If your girl insists you pay, then you know she is not in it for the long term.

Flashermac said:

Another stunt is making repeat customers pay a bar fine, after the first guy of the night has paid the bar to get her off for the evening. If a gal is going ST, only the first fella pays a BF!

There is another angle on this surely? My understanding is, that in most bars, girls have a quota of 'offs' per month. By ensuring the punter pays the bar fine each time, regardless of the number of offs that day, the girl is ensuring she meets her quota. Not sure what happens if the quota is not reached, I seem to remember a girl saying her salary gets docked.

Sid

MaiLuk said:

Huh? The girls are employed by the bar. The same in the west. If i want to fire my employee then its goodbye for them. Not sure where U R coming from. ::

They are NOT employed. Think about the illegal house maids from Mexico. When the labor and social security people come calling, do you think everyone raises their hands and says she is my employee? Where I am coming from is the FACT they are simply day to day workers you hire in this instance to dance or wait on tables. Other instances would be to mow your lawn or clean your house. That is the CONTEXT combined with the fact even if she is hurt on duty there is not liability workers comp wise.

What does an IRA or retirement monies have to do with the price of bananas today? Bars want a return on their money.

The money,,,,,,,follow the money.....Where is the money realy coming from to open/buy a house of booze and prostitution? I will not spell it all out for you but think again of it as someones hobby. A large boat, a private airplane, a huge swimming pool etc..

Its not a scam to have different BFs depending on the time.

Intial post was about quitting, there is no BARFINE if the girl is leaving the bar with no intention or worry about returning.

who simply have no clue what it means to be in business for a profit so everything seems like a scam. Wake up.

Again, to accept your premise that the motivation for owning a GoGo or beer bar is strickly for profit is not proper IMHO. Some, sure. But think about it, are the Thai's realy going to allow a farang to have such a cash cow without a share or owning themselves?

If you hire the temporaqry you have to pay, usually its part of the girls salary that goes to the temp agency for a certain length of time.

To point out again, YOU/ME are not hiring the girl away from the bar. We are entering a relationship with her and if she leaves the bar we/YOU have no financial obligation nor does she, to the bar. We are not refering to an instance where you hired a girl on Manpowers books, thru them, to perform a service then just told her to quit and work directly for you. The bargirls services are OUTSIDE the bars involvement. She is paid to show up and entertain AT THE BAR. Once finished, finished...Kindly explain why she is libel in the instance of leaving with a farang vs. leaving to go back hom. It does NOT MATTER where the farang met her. Also reflect on the common knowledge she is CUT for not showing up to work the barfine amount, which exceeds her daily wage!

Repeating: The girls are CUT a barfine if they are absent more than the prescribed 2-4days a month...

The best girls don't give a fuck about the salary BTW. And the best girls would laugh at some farang owner asking them for 10000-20000baht without being in on it as a SCAM.

gidday

Nok the Kook

I'll comment from my position as owner of a couple of Sukhumvit bars (together with my Thai wife).

To say that girls working in these bars are freelancers and not employed is incorrect, as least in our building. Most girls are employed by the bar and they receive a monthly salary.

I agree (and we enforce) the one-time payment if a customer takes a girl out of the bar 'permanently'. Why? Think of it like any employment situation. If you want to leave your job as a secretary, engineer or whatever then you would have to work your 1 to 3 month's notice. I see the payment as compensation for the girl leaving her job immediately - and usualy making some problems for the bar by her actions (finding good staff is NOT easy!).

As to the fact that the girl might return to the bar a few weeks later, that result seems to lie solely in the actions of the girl and her new BF. If he is a complete sh*t etc, then I'm sure we will see our ex-employee again :)

Simon

so you would let her go for free, if she gives 1 month notice??

and if you lay off girls because they are lazy or have a bad attitude towards customers, do you also give them 1 month notice? do you pay the severances required by Thai law if you lay somebody off? do you pay workman compensation for your girls?

Samak - the answer to your questions!

Yes, if she gives 1 month's notice then no payment is required, or justified.

If a girl has a bad attitude then we do offer them 1 month's notice, but in every case the girl has left of her own accord without staying the course and collecting her salary!

The salaries appear on our accounts and we pay tax according to Thai law. Maybe other bars don't but we do :)

I know many bars have freelancers 'working' in their bars. From our own experiences, freelancers seem to be nothing but trouble (blanket statement I know but our experience). so we have no freelancers......

Simon

Somebody earlier posted that if the girl insists the punter pays the buy-out fee, then she's not interested in anything but a temporary engagement. But I think that this is not entirely true -- from the BG point of view, I think the situation can be quite complicated.

Most of the bar beers I have been to have an environment where some of the girls become quite close -- and indeed refer to each other as "sister." If a punter likes a girl and wants a long-term engagement, he won't want to give the bar money. And it's quite possible that she won't want him to have to pay either. But given that most farang-Thai relationships tend to end up in flames, these women will probably want some kind of insurance that in the event of a crash-and-burn, they can return to the previous environment on good terms.

As for bars insisting on money, I don't disagree with it. As Simon points out, good help is hard to find -- as any punter knows. Just walk into 9 out of 10 bars and try to find the women who have more than one of the following qualities: sexy, funny, fun to be with, good language skills, good waitresses but not too pushy with the lady drinks, honest. If I owned a bar and I found one of these girls, I would make sure that somebody paid me if they took her away.

Cheers!

[color:"green"] If you want to leave your job as a secretary, engineer or whatever then you would have to work your 1 to 3 month's notice. [/color]

Will you give 1 to 3 months notice or wages before firing an employee? Hell, you probably would not even pay the girl her wages if she quits before payday.

There is no way you can make this sh*t smell good.

Archived