Sad News...

itsmedave

Those of you who have been around for awhile have probably been touched by the goodness of Liverpool Jim. As a quiz member, or just a guy to hang with, there were few who were better.

I am saddened to report that Liverpool Jim passed in his sleep in England last Saturday morning. He had recently been released from the hospital and was expecting to return to Bangkok at the beginning of the year. All family and friends were surprised by this sad turn of events.

The world has lost a man of great knowledge and greater heart.

R.I.P. Friend We will miss you.

Liverpool Jim was, without doubt, one of the most genuine, quality guys I have ever met in Bangkok.

Jim had an understated gentleness about him, as well as a humility coupled with intellegence that was wonderful to be around.

I'll miss him lots - I'm just glad he was able to see his lads win the big one (CL) before he passed. I know that meant alot to him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to James, plus all of Jim's other family who I did not know. A memorial at the quiz would surely be in order.

I don't think I have any pictures. I'll ask Andy if he does. James (the son) was back in England when we found out. Not sure of when his return will be.

We spoke to Jim's girlfriend, Ploy, who has her own job and seems to be holding up okay...even intends to keep their apt. Not sure of her real suuport system or if she was just putting on a good face over the phone.

Wow that is shocking news to hear,

I have a photo of all of us at a party in the private room at the londoner that Jim is also in, it was taken by Bangkok George 2 years ago . there is also Jim's son as well as K-mam, Froggo,Bangkok Phil,Ultra, Southampton Kev and a few others in the photo,if any one wants a copy let me know,

itsmedave said:

Thinking abour the pictures...Rodney may have a collection of pictures of Jim and the team from when we won past quizzes. Maybe we could blow one up. Does anybody have access to Rodney Bain?

[Not sure if he wants his email address here, so I have PMed it to Itsmedave - KS]

(Obviously he's not getting much 'networking' value out of his quiz nights if no-one remembers his company details)

One of the nicest guys I ever met. Very passionate about quizzing! Yet never ever once made me feel unwelcomed even though I add junk all to a team.

Quality person and the world is worse off without him. Hopefully a bit of his charm has rubbed off on everyone he encountered!

<<burp>>

Fuck.

It turned out to be both Jim and I's last quiz night, though I thought his sudden, health-related, decision to return to the UK meant that he would be back before me.

Jim was in the first team we managed to pull together from the NPF board and carried various permutations to victory in various venues over the last few years. A lot of us still have t-shirts and other trophies to remind us of him.

I remember in particular his solo (!) victories at Hunters when Andy was quizmaster, though some of us soon started to turn up to handicap him (and share the prizes!).

I have a couple of shots of NPF1 on Jim's final night if someone can PM me with an address to mail them to, they are about 700 kb and would blow up quite well, I think.

Very sad.

Archived