Illusions and Delusions about Bar Girls

Stickman's column this week is particularly interesting. Although I don't necessarily agree 100% with everything he says (I am more cynical about making it work with BGs), I think he hit most of the nails directly on the head.

I also strongly suspect that the issue raised by Stickman in this week's column is the real issue lurking behind some of the threads we have seen here recently. For example, the thread where it was suggested that asking customers to pay bar fines for BGs when they quit is a scam by bar owners. Actually it is generally nothing more than a ploy by BGs to get more money from punters, assurance that she can get her job back after she "quits" or both.

Stickman said a few things that I know some people here will not believe, but I actually think he is right on the money. For example, the money:

Bargirls' salaries vary hugely. The most popular gogo girls and those girls who work in places where they service high numbers of customers can earn up to, and even from time to time exceed, 200,000 Thai baht per month. That is $US5,000 a month and don?t for a moment think that they are paying tax on that figure...
Pretty good wages for indentured servants in Thailand. And I don't doubt for a second that there are some BGs that pull in that kind of money. Another point that hits the mark:
Some guys would be shocked at how many of these girls have boyfriends who have suggested or even explicitly offered to marry them and either move them into their place locally or whisk them off to Farangland. Even some of the most hardened and least attractive girls get such offers often. If you think that you are giving a woman the chance of a lifetime and one that will never be repeated, get such rogue thoughts out of your mind.
If your Thai girlfriend is or was a BG, and good looking, the quote above and the quote that follows is almost certainly true:
She may tell you that she is working in the bar as a cashier and that she doesn?t go with customers but the cashiers can be quite popular. She may say that she is dancing and that she is living off the salary from the bar, ...
I think Stickman was too gentle on this one. He didn't say it, but I will: you can be relatively certain she is going with customers.

Now something I disagree with:

I have seen relationships work with bargirls, and I have seen them fail. The latter being more common. Many of the issues facing these couples are not that dis-similar to the issues facing guys with "regular girls". I wouldn?t like to make a guess at the success rate, but if I was forced to guess, I would say that about 25 - 35 % of such relationships work. Not a great success rate really.
I would be surprised if it is even as high as 10%.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right on the money probably, so how about the less sucessful bar beer girls or beach rd walkers?

on a similar note a thai tv programme this week again was about student prostitutes(uni?) & 1 girl put it very clear(according GF): why on earth would I ever work at an office when I could earn 1 night what most would struggle to earn in a month!! of course there'd be the stigma attached, but who really much these days?

at least again according GF the percentages of students who obviously moonlights are still low she knew only of 1 ladyboy LOL...

[univeresity] girl put it very clear (according GF): why on earth would I ever work at an office when I could earn 1 night what most would struggle to earn in a month!!
Smart girl.

I think we pay well by local standards, but I know we don't pay young university graduates anything close to what the more popular NEP BGs can earn. We probably don't even pay what an average NEP can earn. And we certainly don't pay on the basis of looks or sanook.

I don't begrudge BGs their habits, preferences or ploys. When you look at the financial incentives and choices available, it all makes perfect sense. I am not going to even try to give anyone "advice" on having a "realtionship" with BG, other than to suggest that they pause for a moment and consider the financial incentives and choices she faces.

As for myself, I am incurably promiscuous, even after ten years here, and have no plans of changing. I suspect this is true of most guys; we?re hard wired that way.

BGs are fun; they're a blast, particularly for a wild night out on the town. And if I may editorialize for a moment (would you expect me to pass by even the remotest opportunity to do so?), the sanook factor would even be better if the authorities dropped their silly New Social Order rules, which haven?t had the slightest effect on the problems they are intended to address and have instead created even bigger problems.

But back on point: BGs as life partners? Well, actually, anyone as a ?life partner?? Why? Why stick to one confection when they keep restocking the candy store with new goodies every day?

But even for those who aren?t incurably promiscuous (or have been fooled into thinking they aren?t), why send BGs serious amounts of your hard earned salary when you aren?t in Thailand? Why on earth would any sane and halfway intelligent guy ? particularly after he has given some calm and clear thought to the incentives and opportunities these girls face ? send serious amounts of cash to a BG, or ?former BG?, from farangland?

It never ceases to amaze me that this actually happens over and over again.

Gadfly1 said:

I would be surprised if it is even as high as 10%.

No Problem, just make this 1%

And this one:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your Thai girlfriend is or was a BG, and good looking, the quote above and the quote that follows is almost certainly true:

Quote:

She may tell you that she is working in the bar as a cashier and that she doesn?t go with customers but the cashiers can be quite popular. She may say that she is dancing and that she is living off the salary from the bar, ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope mine is good looking, but she has not seen the inside of a bar in 4 years.

It migth occur to your brain that some of these girls don't live near bars, stay 24/h day/night with their punter and therefore the possibility to frequent customers might be around 0%, but then that's only representative for at best about 1%?

Might also be that around 1% of the gogogirls make 200k month, why not anyway?

I think the figure should be kept at 10%.

I will justify that with what a friend of mine of Asok beer bars siad "I am getting old I don't have much time left". Probably a down right sensible aproach for any BG to take. Play and enjoy the scene untill 30, then choose an appropriately 50 or 60ish Ferang with a good stack of retirement $$. He gets a relationship to keep him happy to the grave and she gets early retirement.

I guess its being out of touch with or lacking english skills that keeps more ferang from propositioning GTG's the same way.

Archived