Car Insurance in the 'Kok

the_numbers

look at the coverage! coverage can be very different in particular if you compare some international insurer and some local.

network of contract repair shops is also important, in particular if you drive regularly upcountry. after an accident, you can not just go to the next repair shop but have to go to a contracted shop.

You're dead on Samak :bow:

This is one of my primary concerns - the number of places that are covered for service if you have a crash upcountry. Especially if driving a European car not a Honda or Toyota. Upcountry its gonna have to be towed anyway most cases. God knows how far.

prior post: 16,000 is really not bad. Was it an international or local insurer? 'first-class' insurance as the Thais say?

the 'kok is a slang term for bangkok also called bangers by a number of friends. anyway, excuse the confusing colloquialisms and thanks for the help :beer:

cheers,

the_numbers

i pay currently 21k for a 2000ccm car. local insurer. i insured at Thai-Zurich before but it was more expensive and not more coverage.

at my former employer, we had to insure a fleet of over 30 trucks and around 15 cars. the local insurer have usually a much larger network of contracted repair shops, while the international one have a higher coverage, in particular for passengers and third party liability. so we did a split and insured private cars mainly droven in Bangkok with sometimes a lot of passengers in it at a international insurer, while most of the trucks and some private cars, which often had to go upcountry at a local insurer

Thai-Zurich is now known as Thaisri Insurance, now that the Thai family have taken back control of the company. They probably have one of the best networks of Up-country agents out of all the insurance companies on the market.

During normal working hours they have English speaking claims agents on the helpline and their website is being updated to have all pages in English as well as Thai.

OK I admit that my opinion is slightly tinted since my Mrs is the Communications and Marketing Director of Thaisri, but hell it gets me good service. On the cost side I paid 28,000 for full cover policy on a 3.0TD Fortuner, that was without any staff discount, and that is the Vehicle Insured not the Driver

I just picked up my contract yesterday afternoon.

Its Thaisri (sic) and came free for one year with the car, a Toyota Vigo 4x4 3liter diesel engine.

I don't have the contract here (my monitor died this morning) but grosso modo cover for third party liability is 500k baht per victim and 10 million per accident, own damage is limited to 80% of new value and I think it goes degressive by time, still need to read the small prints in thai...same for theft/fire.

There is also personal coverage for driver and passengers, limited to 100k medical fees, and same for death i think. Seems week coverage to me.

Price is around 23k plus 1800 for personnal coverage.

Toyota seems to have a small reduction of 11k on such a fleet contract.

The Thaisri insurance you've got sounds about like the 'budget' plan offered by Allianz CP dubbed third-class insurance :nono:

Its sort of standard with a new car purchase. To my mind its not adequate coverage in cases of accidents but maybe i'm being too cautious. The driver and passenger coverage is what I am speaking about specifically.

On the other hand Thaisri seems to be a great deal if you fit into certain promo plans they've got up even called stuff like "I Love My Benz"[not perfectly correct but approximately] or "Executive". I don't fit these :help:

Anyway I've decided anew to probably get a vintage car with a pretty large engine at least 3,800cc. It seems to send the rates up though imediately. Given that I'm sure that its going to pay to shop around and Thaisri seems high.

Its sort of stupid though the way rates are based on engine size on older cars because we aren't talking about a fast car when you consider the weight of the vehicle. Light autos and peppy engines now have changed the relationship of a car to what's under the hood.

:cussing: Forget telling insurers that though.

So, it seems one has to take it on the chin... err. so to speak.

Cheers,

the_numbers

Archived