speak thai and were finnished

FAT_AUSSIE

Last night I experienced something absolutely awful from a Thai woman who thought I could not speak Thai. To cut a very long story short, the Mrs. And I were invited to liaise and translate at the sin sot negotiations of a guy who wanted to marry a Thai girl.

Aunty was the spokeswoman for the girl and on one side of the table was me and the guy, and on the other, the girl and family. My wife was the translator sitting at the head of the table and most communication went through her.

The negotiations were proceeding when at one point the aunt said to my wife ?this girl cannot have children but don?t tell him because he won?t be happy if he knows. Let him find out later.?

I then responded to her in Thai (had not said any up to that point and she must have thought me some sort of monkey) that that could be a deal breaker and I was going to translate it into English right away. Her face went white, I translated and to cut a long story, that was it. Negotiations virtually stopped and the relationship ended there and then. The guy was FURIOUS!

The point here being that speaking Thai gives you much greater insight into things. I personally like to know what?s going on and hate being kept in the dark!

Stick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Is this because his wife want's to control him, or perhaps is she up to thing's she does'nt want him to learn/ be told of?"

Most likely both, and if I were him I would be *very* concerned. I'd also either learn Thai anyway (and preferably not tell her about it for several months) or dump her.

Sanuk!

I see a lot of farangs bragging about their thai language skills solely to impress those around them. Examples like these from Stick and thailenoi are why I think it's good to NOT let people around know you understand what's going on. Playing the dumb farang, at least in the beginning, has it's advantages sometimes.

think the guy has every right to be furious. Not because the girl can't have children, but the fact that she knew and decided to keep it from him. Serious breach of trust IMO.

I agree also, but I think it is a major loss of face if a girl can't conceive.

Guest lazyphil

<<So, he was looking for a breeding machine then ? Must have been real love !>>

Its a proven fact from people in university labs wearing tanktops accross the world that love and the desire to procreate are tightly linked :dunno:

My ex Gf was ambivalent about me learning thai. At times, she was happy to be able to communicate with me better, at other times, when she realised i was understanding some of the things (about me) she was discusssing with her friends, she'd get pissed of, and say something negative, like "stupid falang, no good speak Thai, falang speak english only!"

Yes, she did have a temper at times.

The example that comes to mind was when we arrived at her hometown, and were picked up by her sister in the family pick-up truck. They hadn't seen each other for a while, and were talking away furiously. At some stage, GF explained she thought i was ChaoChu, because I was still in contact with my wife, while living with GF.

so I said (in Thai) "look who's talking, the woman who recently got pregnant with her English BF, and pretended it was my baby. that's what I call ChaoChu."

That got the sister cracking up, and GF furious, didn't talk to me for a full five minutes.

STUPID FALANG!

Archived