CKD Cars AND the Truth

the_numbers

Bangkokians,

I wanted to know if anyone has ever imported a CKD [Completely Knocked Down] car to Bangkok from overseas. 35% flat tax on this vs. 80% on CBU i.e. put together automobile. I know people do it with Harley's alot because they are so expensive :eek:

It takes weeks to process no doubt at the nasty Department of Imports. I am just wondering about hidden fees like excise tax and valuation of car parts like engines, panels, etcetera.

A comprehensive answer would be amazing.

Cheers,

the_numbers

Uh, why do you not just buy a car here? The majority of BMW and Mercedes-Benz models sold in Thailand are assembled locally from CKD kits. The Audi A6 is another choice. How about the Alfa 156? And there are the pickups locally built from mostly local components. And lots of classics are hidden around if you, like me, are into old cars.

You are certainly a better man than I if you really want to do what you propose!!!! Perhaps a masochist?

Regards,

S"MoTown"D

I am definitely a masochist :doah: and I am going to have to heed your advice and buy a car here it seems. I say this after talking to a Thai friend who is knowlegable at length and then seeing your post suadum.

A buddy of mine who is American/Thai pointed out a standing dilemma beyond the pain of importing it. This is even though he knows a guy who could help at the docks and imports i.e. corrupt civil servant. Shocking I know :eek: The vehicle cannot be registered without paying an additional tax especially if imported as parts, whether junk or CKD.

I've definitely been looking at old cars, but its a task. So many of them have been modified and destroyed. Odd seat changes, wheels, interior. No love for the classics :cussing:

Anyway if you have anymore advice on where to shop or any tidbits lemme know. BTW, I do love that spinning head chic you've got. She makes me dizzy in a good way.

cheers,

the_numbers

Try http://www.thaiclassiccar.com to get into the community. Most posts on the forum are in Thai, but a good many members speak English somewhat if you contact them privately. Over the years, I have had a 1966 Mustang ragtop, 1978 & 1985 Corvettes, a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 and a 1962 Alfa Guiletta all bought here in Bangkok. And sold here too :( I miss the Mach mak mak (triple black, shaker & slats, 351C-4V with a 4 speed) but it went to Oz...would like to get the 'Stang rag back from a family member who took it over when we moved to HK a few years back.

I am working on acquiring a 1970 Cougar XR7 with a big block & four-gear as we speak! The Thai guy who owns it keeps changing his mind on whether he wants to sell or not...

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

The majority of BMW and Mercedes-Benz models sold in Thailand are assembled locally from CKD kits.

Is that so really? When it comes to Benz, I thought it was only the S 280 that is assembled locally. Benz price structure seems to confirm my assumption. The S 500, for example, is about five times or so more expensive in Thailand than it is in Europe...

There is a very high tarriff (40+%) on engine sizes over 4.0 litres (or maybe that's 3.0 litres, I forget) on top of the yearly road tax which are also tied into engine size. That is why the 500 & 600 Benzes and the 765 Bimmer are so expensive.

Cheers,

SD

• 2 weeks later...

Locally assembled vehicles - Thailand.

Thailand is now aspiring to be known as the ?Detroit of East?, and benefiting from its position as the vehicle assembly and export hub of Southeast Asia. The trend began in 1962 when the Board of Investment (BOI) first promoted automobile assembly, which lured Nissan to enter the market. Over 15 different makers now assemble cars in the Kingdom, including all the leading Japanese makers as well as BMW, Mercedes Benz, General Motors, Ford, Volvo and Peugeot along with their legions of suppliers. The automobile industry has emerged as one of the pillars of the economy and a leading attractor of foreign investment.

Isuzu and Toyota have already made plans to introduce their pickup and pickup-based SUV lineups, with a target of around 800,000 units in 2004-2005. Nissan has also revealed an interest in increasing its investment stake in the near future.

Meanwhile, Mitsubishi, whose pickup trucks have long held the leading spot as far as overall sales volume is concerned, is teaming up with Daimler-Chrysler (Thailand) through the use of auto assembly facilities, transportation system, and logistics, including the merging of their training centers. At present, Mitsubishi has an auto assembly facility located at Laad Krabang, which specializes in the large-scale assembly of pickup trucks, and another one at Laem Chabang, which specializes in the manufacturing of the Lancer passenger car and the Strada commercial truck for export.

In addition, Alfa Romeo and Fiat also realize the advantages of investment in this region. They show their confidence in the Thai auto industry with their plan to roll out their first non-domestically assembled automobile units this year. The General Motors factory in Rayong Province is where Alfa Romeo plans to manufacture around 4,000 units of the Alfa Romeo 156.

Uh, ya, I know. I was heavily involved in the Thai auto industry for several years, developing plants and localizing suppliers. But you could not have known that!

I did not know that the BOI started promoting the auto industry in 1962 however. Thanks for that tidbit.

Cheers,

SD

Good catch Doggy. Per Segment Y, the sales leaders for each catagory in 2004 were:

Passenger Car (PC) segment -- Toyota Soluna Vios (23.3% segment market share)

Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) segment -- Isuzu SpaceCab (30.0% segment share)

Heavy Comm. Veh. (HCV) segment -- Hino Validus (19.2% share)

Cheers,

SD

Archived