Stickman this week.

chuckwoww

A very interesting read. Touching on a lot of things. Something strange about it though. The family asking so much money for their daughter and not budging on the price. The 'negotiator' saying she had conception problems. 'Big mouth' or deliberate ploy?

It's almost as if they didn't want her to marry the guy. ::

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly/weekly232.htm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's almost as if they didn't want her to marry the guy.
Oh, I think they wanted him to marry her. And he did. Put aside any delusions that any of this had anything to do with anything other than money.

The story will ring strange to anyone in the West ? but only because he described some unpleasant truths; things that are very likely to make anyone who has a "Thai tee ruk" or met his girlfriend or wife in one Thailand?s night time venues pause, and stir uneasily.

The outrageous demands coupled with a short, drop dead deadline. The obvious ? to an outsider at least ? use of emotional blackmail. A farang ? with plenty of alternative opportunities ? agreeing to an arrangement where he is obviously being taken advantage of: ?He emailed me 4 days later and said that he was going to marry her.?

And it doesn?t only occur in discos here. I also see this in business dealings here all of the time.

An unpleasant truth:

I guess I should not find it surprising the way the family automatically assumed that another Thai, Mrs. Stick, would pull the wool over a farang?s eyes, even though she was there to represent him.
More often than not, however, this assumption is entirely justified. And not only in relationships, but also in business and legal matters.

But recent arrivals just don?t seem to get it, and it happens over and over again. My views have changed over the years and I have become less sympathetic: because Farangs fall for these obvious scams over and over again, can you really blame Thais for trying?

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

'damged goods' or an all out attempt to get the falang off guard and playing without protection. Once she is in a family way he has to cough up the required, already stipulated amount. It's almost funny how many guys look in the wrong place for a wife. No disrespect towards anyone who has made it work, but it seems that the numbers are totally against you.

dean said:

I think if the guy had continued playing hard ball, the parents within a week or two, would have lowered their demands considerably. I don't think that they were going to get any counteroffers in the near future.

Right, but of course the guy is in a weak position from the get go. If he balks at the price he looks like a cheap Charlie. Or they say 'You no love daughter?'

And maybe he told the daughter (who of course told mother, who told father) he was rich. :)

There is logic in the familie`s request for such a large amount...assuming the average Thai man is willing to pay 1 yrs disposable income as dowry or wedding gifts then surely a farang should be expected to do the same...assuming this guy was a high flier earning big money,he could no doubt afford to give this amount so why not ?.....Thai logic and now mine also...have I been involved with LOS too long?...answers on a post card please...

Who cares if the guy could afford it or not. The family obviously had no concern for the well being of the marriage, they just wanted a payday. And it appears they'll get it. Now the bar has been set. They'll be asking/demanding money all the time and using the guys wife as leverage, just as they did in the beginning.

Things may all work out in the end, but that's a pretty fucked up way to start things off. Pay us or you can't see our daughter ever again? I would have been out the door right then and there. Way too many fish in the sea to have to deal with that kind of bullshit.

Archived