• Created
  • Last Reply

First, thanks Stickman for writing the story, it will open many eyes,

But it seems this guy is thinking with his "small'' head"

negosiations ???? the family would not budge :(

I guess from afar it looks like an easy decision, WALK ,

But thats thinking with the "Big Head"

OC

Interesting that this guy, who sounds reasonably good looking, well-groomed and obviously well off financially has taken such a lazy option to find a wife.

I read someone's post a while ago saying a lot of farang who come to Thailand and fall for bar girls and just kind of lazy when it comes to looking for partners. I think there is some truth to this.

It sounds as though this guy wasn't looking for a wife. From Stickman: "he had not been looking at marriage just yet, but things had somehow got to the point where he was meeting the parents for the pre-engagement negotiations."

It is hard to imagine that his "girlfriend" wasn't involved in the machinations leading up to this predicament. And I wonder how long she will stick around after the money is paid:

A large sin sot / dowry in some ways gives a woman an INCENTIVE TO LEAVE THE MARRIAGE. In the old days, a woman stayed with a man because she had to. She would not be able to survive without him and no-one would want to marry someone who had already been married. This is no longer the case and divorced Thai women often remarry these days.
The guy here was not familiar with Thai culture ("he did not have any real Thai friends, especially seniors of some social status"), he didn't speak Thai, was incredibly naïve and had an "ex-pat salary", which suggests to me that he was new to Thailand or, if he had been here for awhile, he must have been very isolated. I am not saying guys who have been here for a long time don't do stupid things, but it seems as though these sorts predicaments happen more often to those who are new to Thailand.

I suspect all of us have had friends go ga ga over a BG on their first visit to Thailand. This is unfamiliar and, for some, dangerous terrain. I don't read this as a story about a guy who is just kind of lazy when it comes to looking for partners, but more of a cautionary tale about the dangers of naiveté when it comes to Thailand and TGs (some of which we occasionally see here). Maybe I should print out Stickman's column this week to show the next friend that goes ga ga over a bar girl.

The one part I love about the story is the bullshit use of of "sincerity" in negotiations here. Stickman: "They said that they were showing their sincerity by even entering into this negotiation and for him to be sincere, he had to offer more money..." I hear this nonsense daily in ordinary business negotiations. My response is typically, "yeah right, let's get back to the numbers", which does seem to annoy some of our customers who see obligation free financing as a birthright.

BuffHello said:

what did this gal look like ? was she a real beauty ? fabulous body?

if she was a real beauty and he was cnutstruck then it all falls into place. the omens for their future dont look good ,especially if he takes her back home .

He obviously thinks she's just what he was looking for. Of course she may be great in bed. Or maybe he's looking for a trophy to impress his pals. Lots of unknown factors here. He may even be running a high class whorehou....ooops P4P business... somewhere. :)

The family did everything except hit him over the head with a bottle of Chang and lift his wallet

---------------------------------------

best point so far. that's what it all comes down to. The guy flew 1000 of miles, went specifically in some places, WANTS to marry a girl, WANTS to stoop down to 3rd world greedy family mentality, at this level, unlike someone said, it's never about opening one's eyes. It's beyond clear-sight. Love and infatuation have always been.

I'd say it's again more about farang foolishness than the family. You really have to seek them hard to fall into any supposed trap. They have no guns, and clearly did not assault him.

IMO ::

Archived