What is a " GiG "

BadaBing

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh-hah! I found it in one of my Thai textbooks. I am correct in the enuciation. It is more "geek" or "gik" than "gig".

This book defines it as [ N ] casual boyfriend/girlfriend ; intimate friend .

Cheers,

SD -- hates to be wrong :p

++++++++++++

The syllable ¡Ôê¡ consists of 4 components:

¡ This is the initial consonant, which is pronounced as g

-Ô This is the vowel, which is pronounced as i .

Vowels in Thai never occur by themselves, and are always accompanied by a consonant. As the vowels can be above, below, before or after the consonant, or in a combination of positions, we have used a dash when writing this vowel to signify where it is written relative to the consonant.

¡ This is the final consonant.

Although as an inital consonant it would be pronounced as g , as an ending consonant it's pronunciation is changed to k.

ê This is a tonemark symbol, which only affects the tone that the syllable is pronounced with. This is explained in the 'tone' section below.

So before considering the tone, this gives the pronunciation for the word ¡Ôê¡ of gig.

Simply means someone u like enough to have sex with (in any form) but you don't want to be in a formal relationship with them.

The term has been used popularly with the under 30yr old Thai party crowd, uni and technical schools. Hell even high school students in BKK use the term. I have only heard it being used in BKK, and I have no clue about the outer provinces. If u want a Thai chick to understand what u mean don't emphasize the hard "G" or "GA" sound the way we pronounce it in the West. Make it sound more like a soft "ig" almost 'k" sound is the best way I can explain it.

Take a few uni chicks or party girls out get them plastered on some whisky and cokes and ask them how many gigs they have, u may be shocked by the responses you get from these precious "GTG's".

Never heard it used by BG's but I often don't go to the bars these days. Unless I want a JJsushi style hedonistic sex party with 3 to 5 chicks! I guess I am going to have to book a flight to BKK for Thanksgiving!

Archived