talking like a gay

Khun Sanuk said:

quote:

"Phii" is used by both male and female when speaking to people who are younger. So, whereas a guy would likely not say "Somsak pay nuat", saying "Phii pay nuat" would not be strange at all (assuming he speaks to someone younger than him).

I think you're wrong about that KS. Just as phii saow / phii chai are older sister / brother, phii is used when addressing those older than you. Nawng is used to address those younger. In your defense, however you seem to have corrected this error in your later post on pronouns. Not sure I'd agree with you entirely that you'd get your ass kicked for using ee and ai though. Frequently they are used among close friends. Some may know the phrases ee gay and ai gay which are used among Thai husband and wife that have been together many years. Agree though that usage without knowing what you're doing would be bad.

Crash999 made this statement which intrigued me:

quote:

I'd rather have a male teacher who can teach me the finer points of the language including the Thai equivalents of, 'hey baby' and 'shout outs to ma homies'.

I asked a Thai friend about the 'hey baby.' My basic question was if you see a poo-ying rret what would you say to her? His response was that he probably wouldn't say anything to her. But he might turn to his friends and say something like poo-ying nan na-yet which I found to be pretty funny. I suspect this combines the Thai cultural aspects of class, separation of the genders and possible loss of face if the girl rejects him. I didn't know how to translate 'shout outs to ma homies' though so I figured this expression would be lost on him.

Incidentally, I earlier stated there can be as many as 3-4 levels of politeness. I checked with the long-haired dictionary to come up with a distinct example (I already knew 3 of the four). Witness the classic 'to eat.'

daek / ginn / tann / sawoey

vulgar / colloquial / polite / royal

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

Hi,

"I think you're wrong about that KS. Just as phii saow / phii chai are older sister / brother, phii is used when addressing those older than you. Nawng is used to address those younger."

Yes, but we were not talking about addressing others, but addressing oneself. So Somsak refers to himself when he says "Phii pay nuat".

"Not sure I'd agree with you entirely that you'd get your ass kicked for using ee and ai though. Frequently they are used among close friends."

Yes, close friends. But ONLY close friends, and even then you had better not say it in anger.

BTW, there are a few other words for eating, one is rappathaan, which more polite than thaan. There is also one more vulgar than daek, but I only heard it once and nobody wanted to teach it to me frown.gif" border="0

Sanuk!

GOO/MOONG..... I have seen girls cry when addressed as MOONG. You might get your ass kicked using these

KAPACHAO..... royal for "I", you'll hear this any time the King makes a speech

EE/AI..... I believe these are of Isaan origin, and are considered polite when used between close friends and family in Isaan, although can be a serious insult to other Thais

MAAAE (long rising followed by long falling tone)......an exclamation to feign surprise or insult, used exclusively by girls, gays and katoey, unless you're joking and want to sound like one

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

kapachao: sorry, no clue, never heard this before

ataman - johm: don't know these either

Khapajao is used a lot for formal things like contracts and agreement. Most official contracts between people always go 'khapajao this', 'khapajao that'...

Ataman I think is Aatamaa, which is used by monks only, again meaning 'I'.

Cheers,

Chanchao

aatamaa อาตมา First person pronoun (I) used by monk.

yome โยม Second person pronoun used by monk (you) mostly for males many variations like yomephor, for the monks father yomephii ,older brother etc.

siigar สีกา second person pronoun used by monks when speaking to a female .

ai/ee ไอ้/อี used all the time amongst friends, an older form of thai now considered impolite (if you watch thai movies set in olden times everyone talks like this, khun/phom etc are relatively modern usage)

guu/meung กู/มึง also come from old style thai more impolite than ai/ee

These pronouns are often called esarn but they are thai.

On a similar note, here in the SFO Bay area, we have many "alternative lifestyle" types (AKA "pufftas").It is strange to see how many straight men around here talk and act, and have the mannerisms of a pufta while still being straight sexually. I guess this adds to the theory that it depends on what you are exposed to and how it influences you.

KS,

Regarding the use of phii / nawng, I knew I must be reading your post wrong in some way because I knew you must know better. I must've read that thing half a dozen times but never did quite get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Had heard rappathaan before but didn't quite know where it was placed. Sure would like to know that lower form than daek! blush.gif" border="0

Archived